UK Political Thread, part the second

Wellingborough and Kingswood: Labour secures thumping double by-election win
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-politics-68277176

6 Likes
10 Likes

The BBC burying the lede again. The suspected reason for the blocked applications is so that these people would not be in the UK to testify in the numerous allegations of war crimes against UK soldiers.

12 Likes
6 Likes

Good. Now get on with it and let’s leave this behind us.

I have recently read up on the actual proposal, and together with the opinions of fellow archaeologists it has swayed me that the bored tunnel as it is planned now is not ideal but both better than what we have now and significantly better than it could have been (i.e. the original and disastrous cut and cover scheme)

ETA: while googling for some specifics I came across this blog post by a planning archaeologist that succinctly sums up what I came to realise when reading the proposal

5 Likes

Does anyone who knows the area know what is going to happen to that giant hog farm, btw? That has always seemed the bigger blight on the landscape to me, compared to the road

They’re putting the tunnel under it? :wink:

3 Likes
5 Likes

The lettuce has not commented

7 Likes

I saw a screencap of the Torygraph front page where she was blaming “deep state trans activists” in the civil service for making her primiership the least successful that anyone can think of. First, sure Jan But second, deep state trans activists? We salute you!

12 Likes

If they were communists, it would be traditional.

11 Likes

Oh no, hating on trans people is traditional, too. She’s fucking desperate and is trying to claw her way back into power with hate. What a garbage human.

9 Likes

Does Liz Truss have a battered copy of The Protocols of the Elders of Transgender?

A few years ago we were talking about how transphobia was recycled homophobia, now they’ve moved on to recycled antisemitism. If we had just 1% of the power these arseholes claim we have then they would be relegated to the conspiracy theory fringes, along with the flat earthers and antivaxxers.

14 Likes

14 Likes

Ah. Trans people should be denied government employment.

But continue to pay taxes, I’m sure.

8 Likes

A Shamima Begum reference, I assume.
Timely.
Funny and horrible, but timely.

3 Likes
5 Likes

He’ll be back as soon as there’s a new dead cat to distract everyone.

6 Likes

FYI, can someone explain the role of the speaker here? Why would there not be a conservative in the role? Is it a non-partisan position, and who gets to make the decision on who gets to be speaker?

Maybe I can answer my own question here…

Google Searching GIF

Wikipedia answered my question! Thanks!

Glad, despite the enshittification of the googles, wikipedia still often comes up first on searches (at least for me)…

4 Likes

As part of my “not having a search engine between me and the thing I want” I have a wiki tab open and search that.

3 Likes