UK Political Thread, part the second

See, I was with him until point 23.

1 Like

Bring back Ceefax / Oracle / Tellytext!

2 Likes

An original British English take on fascism that isn’t just some lazy rehash of continental fascism?

2 Likes
10 Likes

Maggie’s in a box!

4 Likes
6 Likes

2 Likes

Started getting election leaflets for the local elections.

One arrived yesterday, 6 page concertina-fold branded blue and green (council logo colours), plenty of pics of candidate and text about all 3 of her “policies”.

It must have been due to lack of space that it did not include a party logo and only admitted it was produced on behalf of the Conservatives in 4pt at the bottom of the back page.

8 Likes

I’m missing something, what about voter ID is good?

4 Likes

Yes, you’re missing something.
Vincent Hanna interviewing the The Standing at the Back Dressed Stupidly and Looking Stupid Party candidate in Blackadder.

2 Likes

Until inclusive versus until exclusive, I guess. It threw me too.

2 Likes
5 Likes

What? Voter ID has always been a tool of crude voter suppression. It’s a scam.
The only way around it I can think of offhand would be to roll out ID cards generally, but this has been spectacularly unpopular in the UK historically. Some of that could be reduced by cutting the intrusive biometrics and similar features, but I suspect that it would still lack support.

When I was living in Germany you had to register with the local authorities when you move into a town, and this is just taken as normal (similar to being on the electoral roll, I suppose) - the plot of The Castle by Kafka is not a mere surreal fantasy.

3 Likes

I wonder if Viktor Orbán’s party is worried about him getting the stank of Braverman on him?

4 Likes

I am not sure how you drew the conclusion that I was serious.

And you do in the UK in a number of ways, poll tax, electoral roll, all the other bollocks.

2 Likes
6 Likes

I don’t think I was the only one, the old satire on the internet problem.

I wasn’t criticising the German system particularly, nor upholding the UK non-system as superior.

4 Likes

I mean, it is normal. For me as a German the idea that the state wouldn’t know where each citizen lives is insane. There are all sorts of reasons they need to know, from healthcare to voting to taxes to law enforcement. And we see in the UK how weird it gets when you don’t have a simple proof of address guaranteed by the state. I mean, proving it with utility bills??

6 Likes

f0cc10868f09b0ad

11 Likes

“I ate lots of food, but mostly cheese and pork.” tophat-rofl

ETA:

tophat-angry tophat-confused tophat-wow

3 Likes