UK Political Thread, part the second

6 Likes

And off he pops to Buck House, with Mrs S carrying an umbrella (now he starts planning).

3 Likes

Will he also hum a happy little tune after stepping away from the lectern?

4 Likes

Too good for him

2 Likes

Not what i was expecting and that’s a good thing!

3 Likes
5 Likes

13 Likes

6 Likes

Season 2 Get Schwifty GIF by Rick and Morty

5 Likes

As of this AM (US time) there’s 2 seats left to go, with Labour standing at 412, outperforming the exit polls. Reform seems to have been held to 4 so far, which is better than the 12-14 that I heard being bandied about yesterday, but it’s also not 0. I don’t know enough about British politics to comment on the other shifts among smaller parties…

6 Likes

I think the Greens getting all their target seats is a pretty big deal. They’ve struggled to turn votes into seats before. Now they get 4-5 years to persuade people to re-elect them, which has worked out pretty well at the council level.

12 Likes

Uh oh:

4 Likes

Who better to be the leader of the New BNP in parliament than the literal owner and sole proprietor of of the party?

Remember, its full name is The Reform UK Party Limited.

11 Likes

I’m surprised that we’re not hearing more about the Lib Dems.

I mean, sure, Reform went from zero seats to four, but the Lib Dems went from 8 to 71, which seems like it would be a pretty big deal.

10 Likes

A few possible explanations. Labour have a huge majority, so they don’t need to work with other parties to get things done. That means Lib Dem plans remain opposition plans, with no real mechanism to enact them. The Lib Dems have been nearly as big before, when Clegg got rooked by the Tories into propping up their government for nothing concrete. Reform’s impact on the result is massively disproportionate to the number of seats they won; Labour and the Lib Dems did very well out of the right-wing vote splitting.

8 Likes

To trigger a leadership contest in the Conservative Party, 15% of their MPs must send a letter to the chair of the 1922 Committee (expressing no confidence in the leader).

Right now?

Every time 19 Conservative MPs have a collective snit, it’s leadership challenge time!

Better stock up on microwave popcorn.

Leadership eating will continue until morale improves.

11 Likes
7 Likes
9 Likes

I will be eagerly following all this and dreading it at the same time, Labour running roughshod all over digital rights is a big part of what made me lose confidence in them and now the Tories have enacted sweeping draconian laws.

Meanwhile… i just saw about 7 hecklers chucked out of a Refash press conference, it’s going so well.

9 Likes

Going Pitch Perfect GIF

8 Likes