UK Political Thread, part the second

Oh dear, oh dear. What an omnishambles…

4 Likes

Brits (or I guess anyone who lives in a Parliamentary system), can someone call for a confidence vote over this for Johnson?

3 Likes

Technically, yes. But it’s not going to happen because a vote of no confidence is for the government as a whole, not just the PM, so doing this would bring down the whole government and probably result in an election, which the Tories would lose heavily, given current polling. So that’s not going to happen while they hold a majority.

This is why the focus at the moment is a leadership challenge to force him to resign as party leader and PM, which would achieve the same result without the possibility of an election.

4 Likes

There’s 2 levels of confidence that matter:

1: having the support of his own party.
2: having the support of the House.

As long as he has (1), then he has (2) until the next election. Or if a lot of people cross over. There are procedures tor the House to vote no confidence in the PM, but as long as (1) holds he’ll survive that call.

(1) is an internal party matter - I understand that it’s relatively easy for the (parliamentary) party to boot him out according to party procedures.

Assuming you’re American - we have a clusterfuck of a system where the Government are simultaneously the Executive and the Legislature, and one of our supreme justices had to retire for old age and automatically got a role in the upper house of the Legislature, for life.

5 Likes

Thanks to you both! Makes sense to me.

4 Likes

First 54 (edit: Tory) MPs have to send a letter to the chairman of the 1922 Committee (Tory backbencher’s club).
Then the party MPs can hold a vote of no confidence, if 50+% agree that they have no confidence in him then he will be out on his ear and someone else will inherit the gold wallpaper.

The population as a whole gets no voice.

2 Likes

One year ago:

This might be a problem.

5 Likes
11 Likes

Yep. They seem to have welcomed a viper into the nest given he’s said some spicy things about Labour in the past and bizarrely it’s almost had the opposite effect of unifying the Tory party more than it did the day before, certainly after the PM’s disastrous interview.

This year has already gone on too long and it’s only January. :cold_sweat:

Bbc Drinking GIF

7 Likes

The (Tory) chair of the Public Administration and Constitutional Affairs Committee dropped this bombshell this morning. Tory MPs threatening Tory MPs with slashed constituency funding, redrawn boundaries etc for daring to question The Big Dog.

Is there a way back from it?

4 Likes

Absolutely rotten, isn’t it? I saw Ed Vaizey on the telebox today saying how it’s just all par for the course with a grin on his face, as if blackmail and intimidation are just another day of some Game of Thrones LARP bullshit. Nothing to be proud of there, mister.

And another thing, it gets commented on a lot that Bozo shows such disrespect to parliamentary procedure but arguably the Victorian fetishist Rees-Mogg is worse. Here’s a guy who portrays himself as a student of parliamentary history but in fact knows precisely squat about history while writing terrible prose, treats colleagues with disdain, seems to not know or care about anything outside Westminster and is happy to project an image of narcissistic arsehole privilege…

6 Likes

So the Scottish Green Party need to do this again. It’s a shame they don’t have any MPs in the House of Commons.

When William Morris suggested turning the Houses of Parliament into a manure warehouse I don’t think filling them with prejudiced shits is what he had in mind.

7 Likes

And on and on it goes…

I’m sure the Sue Gray report will answer all of our questions! I also expect it to answer what happened to Lord Lucan, resolve once and for all what the Loch Ness Monster is and reveal the identity of Jack the Ripper.

4 Likes

And another reminder that we have a huge fraud scandal, alongside the huge “breaking covid restrictions” scandal, and the

5 Likes

Oh yeah, and the Brexit logistics issues are still not over:

3 Likes

But they’re posing it as a question. It’s all so mysterious.

3 Likes

Welp!

Another day here of Tory pretzel logic saying things like…

“It wasn’t a party, it was just cake!”
“He was only there for 10 minutes.”
“It was a work event.”

And the old faithful fallback position of awaiting the all seeing, all knowing Sue Gray report.
No, no, fuck no… it matters not one bit whether it was a party, that’s just semantics, the point is nobody could gather indoors in those numbers without facing a fine.

3 Likes

I don’t think this will work the way Sir Keith thinks it will work. Will Islington North at the next election be like Bethnel Green and Bow in 2005? If the rumours are true about Corbyn stating a rival party then I would watch Bury South too. Considering the animosity between the Blue Labour Starmerites and anyone to the left of them, I would worry about any marginals too.

I’m not voting for Labour ever again because of non-Corbyn related reasons.

4 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes