UK Political Thread, part the second

She was probably the least worst of the TERs in the NEC election. I thought she could do good if she was kept away from trans issues. Her replacement is also a TER, so things will get worse with the NEC.

Also

5 Likes

This is really something, especially when some of them try to justify the obviously-corrupt practices.

5 Likes

Yeah, thatā€™s a remarkable watch, especially so when they start calling out the nice gifts certain members have received from businesses - they looked like they would have been quite happy if a yawning abyss had opened up beneath them. The main thing i thought of when watching this is the Upton Sinclair quote - ā€œIt is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!ā€

It feels like Private Eye is the last source of true investigative journalism.

3 Likes

Do they actually have power, or are their actions automatic? It seems an awfully small group of outcasts to wield discretionary power.

1 Like

Welcome to the old-boy network.

1 Like

You canā€™t be the power behind the throne, if youā€™re sitting on it?

1 Like

Well itā€™s certainly power in the hands of a privileged few and thatā€™s how they want to keep it and theyā€™d rather run roughshod over democracy if it means quelling the backbench rebellion.

1 Like

Praise be unto the researchers of the Parliamentary library:

4 Likes

OK, I thought there were a lot more than 90 frontbenchers. That stiill leaves (at least) 269 tory MPs who donā€™t recieve extra pay from the PMā€¦

Seriously, Iā€™ve had call to contact them on some research and they are great.

4 Likes

PE have a podcast that is pretty serious. The satire magazine has become a front, like the Scarlet Pimpernel.

Hislop is in the wonderful position of being both completely independent and very high profile. I love how that one tory asshole trues to impugn him by non-sequitorially slipping in the fact that he gets sued a lot, completely not understanding that that is a positive credential in a political muckraker.

2 Likes

That was particularly passive aggressively sneering and like Hislop i was also wondering where that analogy was going - it turns out nowhere of great interest or merit. What a windbag.

1 Like

Itā€™s not currently running, but FutureLearn used to have a course on how Parliament works - https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/introduction-uk-parliament

The number of ministers is limited by law, all are chosen by the PM, who must also be a minister, and one must be the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster. Thereā€™s no requirement for them to be MPs, except that collective responsibility means itā€™s free votes.

Edit to add: theyā€™re almost always MPs or Lords, since they need to give statements in one house or the other, and the Speaker of the Commons would prefer to only hear Members.

2 Likes

Snouts are still in troughs and the gravy train still runs, and there are always second jobs (that have absolutely no connection to lobbying /s)

3 Likes

The work they did on the Post Office scandal, amongst many other, was remarkable. It would never have ended as it did if they hadnā€™t kept the pressure up.

5 Likes

They donā€™t always get it right (like the Andrew Fucking Wakefield thing), but when theyā€™re good theyā€™re better than the broadsheets.

4 Likes

To be fair though they have given credit to Computer Weekly that did a lot of the original reporting to bring this absolute travesty to light. Which is still ongoing given there are hundreds of victims moving through the court system that havenā€™t yet been acquitted.

3 Likes
3 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes