UK Political Thread, part the second

2 Likes

I, for one, am glad to see they have their priorities sorted.

2 Likes

Beleave in Scotland?

1 Like
3 Likes
12 Likes

That’s good, because the reports from Rwanda are not:

5 Likes

Of fucking course:

Of fucking course:

Hours before the ruling, Johnson had suggested he could consider taking the UK out of the ECHR and accused lawyers of aiding criminals exploiting refugees in the Channel.

6 Likes

The Conservative (rule of law my arse) party have been threatening to leave the COE/ECHR for years. It was Theresa “hostile environment” May’s signature policy. It seemed crazy at the time as the post war ECHR was explicitly a right wing concept (left wing human rights policies were rejected there and in the UN) but that was when the right wing was a) anti-Nazi and b) trying to be better and more attractive than the Soviet Union. Particularly to workers and poor people.

Again, at the risk of being repetitive, Britain doesn’t have a major refugee “problem”. It doesn’t have many asylum seekers compared to the European

average:https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn01403/

• In 2020, there were around 6 asylum applications for every 10,000 people living in the UK. Across the EU27 there were 11 asylum applications for every 10,000 people. When compared with EU countries, the UK ranked 14th out of the individual countries in terms of the number of asylum applications per capita.

This is manufactured, racist, illegal, rabble rousing from the Conservatives. Pick what real issue it’s distracting from as they can only do one thing: get a media storm up.

6 Likes

error is a sentance.

The Cumberland Infirmary was one of Tony Blair’s flagship Public-Private Partnership hospitals, a new way to run the NHS. I guess I was right to be a critic of the system, but I would rather be wrong and have a functioning NHS.

7 Likes
11 Likes

Honestly, they could have stopped at the apostrophe in that title.

Gloria Swanson Sigh GIF

10 Likes

And the day I pick up my bags and run has come a little bit closer. Leaving the ECHR is a big warning sign to anyone who isn’t a cis-hetero white Anglo-Saxon English man (and probably quite a few who are)

7 Likes

One could say again that the cruelty is the point but Patel’s fascist refugee policy is working exactly as intended.

4 Likes

Grab me a ticket, I’ll come with you.

Come to think of it, I might hire a coach.

I was sick to death with the patronisation of the working class. We’re not just Jeremy Kyle – we did build libraries. My dad was a miner…

Nicky Wire, about A Design For Life

8 Likes

Tbf, “history buffs” probably means they really like how the Dambusters stuck it to Jerry

(I know this reads as condescending but I have very complicated feelings about working class engagement with history thanks to countless arguments with detectorists, and recently even with mudlarks, who I had previously always thought were on the more lawful side of the “the government can’t tell me what’s to do with what I find” debate.)

ETA: this is the most desperate wokebaiting I have yet seen from the DM

2 Likes

The Daily Mail wouldn’t care if that was the case. No, we’re reading the wrong kind of history about women, LGBTQ people and foreigners, and how Britain commited crimes against humanity for centuries.

And I know the problems with some working class people, from growing up in Carlisle. I grew up with urban deprivation and rural tranquility just a few minutes walk away in opposite directions. I do not fit well into any category the UK media and politicians would like to put me in.

I think it’s a similar case with the members of Manic Street Preachers.

6 Likes
6 Likes

Happy Surprise GIF by The Joy Experiment

1 Like