UK Political Thread, part the second

We’ve supposedly learned from the last ransomware (RW) attack. There’s just so much wrong in this.

• No NHS IT should be vulnerable to RW.
  • Nothing operational should be vulnerable to RW.
  • There should be robust disaster-recovery systems to bring operational systems back up in under 24h, not 3 fricking weeks.
    • when I worked adjacent to a call-centre 20 years ago we had local & remote backups and tested the DR plans regularly. Those systems were nowhere near as critical as anything the NHS uses.

The real problem is probably “well, what else can we cut? Hmm, these fire extinguishers haven’t been used in a while, would anyone mind if we didn’t recharge them?”. It bit us when we didn’t have Test & Trace capacity in PHE at the start of the pandemic, and it’ll bite us again and again until the damage has been patched with more £££ than has been ‘saved’.

6 Likes
4 Likes

8 Likes

Green and pleasant land?

7 Likes

Those bits that aren’t scorched dry or on fire, sure.

We have regular fires here now.

6 Likes

Fucking terrible. So many places. So little done by governments.

5 Likes

Wouldn’t want to hurt corporate profits.

5 Likes

Seems to be profits over people. Again. As ever.

Once the customer base dies out they’ll all slip down a rung or two and their money will mean shit.

(I’m so cheerful today! :smiley:)

5 Likes

Immediate profits, sure.

No profits in a few years.

4 Likes

Maybe they’ll decide to hop on one of Elon’s Mars rockets and die there.:crossed_fingers: Though, that would still be too late for everyone else.

3 Likes

Somebody should remind them that subscription models are shit as dead people can’t buy stuff.

5 Likes

Interestingly, the yellow areas on the map correspond pretty exactly to the limits of the area in Britain where you find Roman villas and the areas that used a coin economy before the Roman conquest, bounded more or less by the Fosse Way.

Which isn’t a coincidence, of course, as those are the area’s most suited to preindustrial agriculture on a beyond-subsistence level.

5 Likes
10 Likes

41% of 35-44 year olds polled believe that riots over the cost of living crisis are justified? It should be brown trousers time in Whitehall and ToryHQ right now. This is how revolutions start.

Yes I know the problems with poll results

10 Likes

11 Likes

Hope they don’t drop the drinks trolley

4 Likes
10 Likes

No no, we’re fine!!!

sad GIF by Liz Huett

7 Likes

Don’t fret, it’s taken care of.

8 Likes

I feel so much better now that we will have a world-beating Food Debt system and the most food bank use in history.

Close Call Montana Tucker GIF by VidCon

10 Likes