UK Political Thread, part the second

3 Likes

Is this a promise? Because I like Eddie and hate Rosie. If Rosieā€™s the only kind of Labour candidate who can win in Canterbury then the Tories can keep it.

Hopefully a few other TERs will fuck off too.

(All-women shortlists have been found to be illegal under the 2010 Equality Act)

ETA:

Other news

8 Likes

Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

Alsoā€¦ that interviewā€¦ that guy just straight up lied about what she said, and she has evidence that he lied! WTF?

4 Likes
6 Likes

Damn It Wesley Snipes GIF by IMDb

2 Likes

Iā€™m impressed with Liz Truss. I had her lasting a few months before really fucking things up, but two three weeks must be some kind of world record.

10 Likes

Well, this is worse than I expected.

According to the latest news, the Bank intervened because the fall in the value of government debt was about to wipe out some major pension funds, who would have had to sell off a lot of their assets to raise cash. This in turn would have caused a cascade of falls in the value of other investments.

In short, we almost had another global market crash off the back of this.

So no wonder the IMF was basically saying that the UK was turning into an emerging market economy

And to cap it all off, their response to this crisis that theyā€™ve provoked, is to look to slash government spending even more.

10 Likes

If the queenā€™s death hadnā€™t stopped public life it would have been days. Maybe hours.

9 Likes

This is a disaster. A self inflicted one - I hope they donā€™t keep digging that hole.

9 Likes

How long before a vote of no confidenceā€¦

6 Likes

Too long.

9 Likes

Apparently the 1922 committee has already received letters

8 Likes

Oh fuck, weā€™re going to get de Pfeffel back.

:scream:

11 Likes

Now with new and improved mandate to do absolutely everything!

5 Likes

She got her mini-budget in as soon as she could after the funeral, so Iā€™d say you are right about that.

8 Likes

Or to sum this up in a tweet:

10 Likes
5 Likes

TL;DW: We thought it would be bad, but this is catastrophically, hilariously, incompetently bad.

8 Likes

I dedicate this song to Liz Truss, Kwasi Kwarteng and all right wingers in general (That means you, Sir Keith).

4 Likes

Taking aim at the team around Truss, which is largely comprised of libertarian Conservatives, the former minister said: ā€œWeā€™ve made the mistake of thinking that things which go down well in free-market think tanks go down well with the free market.ā€

Yeah, no shit

ā€œLibertarian conservativeā€, btw, is a contradiction in terms

5 Likes