UK Political Thread, part the second

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/tracey_thorn/status/1577726960406597644

9 Likes

The Conservative party continues itā€™s change into the Fascist Party. The Higher Education minister used Nazi dogwhistles in her speech.

It didnā€™t end well for Ernst Rƶhm either.

9 Likes
9 Likes

I will stick to my lifelong policy of never writing uplifting bangers

I mean, Missing has been remixed into a dance hitā€¦ but not a great topic for a campaign songā€¦

The Pumpkin Dance Dancing GIF by Halloween

3 Likes

I find almost all of their early stuff very uplifting indeed.

4 Likes

universities are feeding students "a diet of critical race theory, anti British history and Social Marxism.

What the fuck is she mainlining? Does she think this is the USA and armies of deplorable MAGA white supremacist are ready to rush to her support?

Itā€™s beyond a dog whistle - itā€™s blatantly fabricated falsehoods in prosecution of a culture war, via a battle that simply does not exist**. I mean, she could have gone on about (completely wrongly, of course) no platforming in universities or alleged ā€˜wokenessā€™ and too much taking account of the sensitivities of LGBQT+ communities and so on - all the well-established culture battles her and her ilk have been trying to stir up for some time.

But this just tries to open a completely a battle that only exists in her head - ** well it does exist now sheā€™s started it.

What an odious, offensive fuckwit she is.

8 Likes

They are desperate after fucking up so badly with the mini-budget and this and other similar Tory conference speeches are a predictable response. Iā€™m expecting a bunch of transphobic shit to be pushed into parliament in the next few weeks as Truss and co. will see it as a way to gain a victory for her fascist base and delay the backbench revolt that is about to happen.

Also, it is what their masters at 55 Tufton Street want.

9 Likes

Why do I get the feeling that thereā€™s a bank in a small mid-western American city thatā€™s missing two of its deputy branch managers because Liz Truss and Kwasi Karteng missed their callings in life and are running the UK instead?

5 Likes

Sheā€™s by far not the first one. Havenā€™t you seen the Toriesā€™ desperate attempts to manufacture culture wars in the last few years?

5 Likes

I am very aware of the Toriesā€™ manufactured culture wars. And I did refer - very directly - to the fact that I had indeed seen those attempts. With specific examples given in my comment.

But critical race theory etc, is a new one to be thrown at UK universities and is previously thrown around as an obsession of the US right-wing fuckwits about what is allegedly going on in their schools.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Same old Tories

6 Likes

Heā€™s a repeat offender too.

7 Likes

The country I am in is not supported. Figures. We are nearly a basket case, after all.

Try a podcatcher. It Could Happen Here seems to be on all of them.

1 Like

Oh, I do have a VPN. I just thought it funny that instead of saying it was ā€œnot availableā€, it rather plaintively told me my country ā€œwas not supportedā€. No doubt our mental health will decline as a result of this lack of support. As if it could get worse given what itā€™s like now, living in Trussia.

5 Likes

Some wag dubbed her ā€˜Thick Lizzyā€™ the other day. Worst tribute act ever.

3 Likes

Thick Lizzy? Tribute Band?

Well, Donā€™t Believe a Word she says - sheā€™s got a Bad Reputation already and sheā€™s just told her chancellor: ā€œDo Anything You Want Toā€.

3 Likes

Oof

ā€œI was approached and I didnā€™t know who they were ā€¦ And then I met one or two of the [GB News] people concerned and had dinner with them, and I liked them very much. And what they said was: ā€˜People say itā€™s the rightwing channel ā€“ itā€™s a free speech channel.ā€™ā€

Donā€™t they teach critical thinking in Cambridge?

5 Likes