UK Political Thread, part the second

The elder statesman* circuit is more profitable now than it was 40 years ago, but there is no way that Liz Truss will be able to do that now, except as the comedy warm-up.

The House of Lords is the best she can hope for, and I can see her being offered it so that she goes quietly.

* What is the gender neutral term for statesman? Statesperson seems a bit clunky.

7 Likes

U-turn of the day:

The ā€œtriple lockā€ on state pensions (increase every year by the highest of inflation, earnings, or 2.5%) is now dead.

This was a key Tory policy back from the David Cameron days, and the Conservative voting base skews heavily towards pensioners, to this is a big break.

8 Likes

He has the unfortunate nickname of ā€œDripfordā€ for supposedly being a bit soft which is unfair on him, heā€™s been doing a good job as first minister and we should all be sick to the back teeth of personality politicians.

6 Likes

Heā€™s managed to keep Labour in Wales both in power and distanced from the UK party, which has allowed them to avoid the infighting and pursue distinctively different policies in the Senned. All this has combined to make Welsh Labour almost uniquely ā€œnot shitā€.

6 Likes

Yeah, theyā€™ve managed to avoid the Tory psycho-drama drag them down and just got on with the job.

3 Likes

Not necessarily as a peer (if she can be trained which end of a broom to hold).

2 Likes
10 Likes

Cat GIF by hoppip

15 Likes

Yet again I am reminded why I donā€™t drink. My liver would never forgive me if I started now.

11 Likes

Well, because heā€™d be good forā€¦ umā€¦ for, erā€¦ forā€¦ well, heā€™d be there and I think, yes, absolutely, I think Iā€™ve been very clear on why.

11 Likes

To be fair, at the rate that waves at everything demands heavy drinking, your liver wouldnā€™t live to hate you for very long.

6 Likes
13 Likes

And yet the fuckery continuesā€¦

https://bills.parliament.uk/bills/3153

The latest Home Sec demonstrating they can be worse than the last one.

9 Likes

I canā€™t keep up itā€™s the wokerati this week, Jason and the Wokeonauts last week. Maybe they need to grow the fuck up or something? Maybe, and this is just speculation, but maybe they should consider their personal responsibility mantra and ponder the idea that it is THEIR FUCKING FAULT?

10 Likes

Weā€™ll have truly autonomous flying cars powered by cold fusion before that happens.

5 Likes

I saw the headline and had my first ever craving for tofu.

3 Likes

One Punch Man GIF

Good riddance. I await the next cruel, puppy kicking Home Sec.

11 Likes

Itā€™s the Halloween costume version of Jeremy from Peep Show Grant Shapps!

4 Likes

I donā€™t know much about him. He canā€™t be as bad, can he?

2 Likes

Heā€™s a Tory, heā€™s as bad no question. If they had even a shred of decency theyā€™d have left the party years agoā€¦

5 Likes