UK Political Thread, part the second

“How bad could this shit sandwich be?”

Sesame Street Idk GIF

It’s not like we have a choice.

9 Likes

It’s coming. Hold in there. You are going to change Britain for the better. The conservative project is falling apart. No, it’s destroying itself like a washing machine on spin with the concrete block gone loose.

Just duck and hide when it explodes.

8 Likes

Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

5 Likes

And it’s back.

I don’t think U-turn covers this cabinet.

11 Likes

Things are not going well (for the Tories).

And the Deputy Chief Whip and the party crumbling in the open…

11 Likes

9 Likes

Right?

boo hoo new girl GIF

9 Likes

He’s got at least some blood on his hands

7 Likes

Isn’t he the guy who negotiated a transport deal for Brexit with some closed ports and a ferry company without any boats? Bunch of Irish, how can I put this without having to apologise and edit, people without any of the things they were selling but took money for?

10 Likes

Apparently this is not now the case (they are still there.) But it also appears that in her panic to keep the Chief Whip onside, Truss ended up failing to vote in the motion that was causing all the problems tonight. Good job it wasn’t a three line whip (meaning “compulsory to support the government”) in the end because otherwise she would have had to remove the whip from herself and thus resign.
It should be noted that it’s not actually clear what status the vote had. It was presented for much of the afternoon as being a three line whip, but then some MPs started saying that they would vote No regardless of whether they kept the whip or not, and that was probably that.

6 Likes

Alas no, that was Chris Grayling, who still (just about) holds the record for most useless Cabinet Minister. But right now it looks as though he is a goal to aspire to, rather than an object lesson.

8 Likes

I can’t keep the clown car of uselessness straight in my head.

Every country has this when a party is in power too long I think. Some of ours have got to the stage of making their English counterparts look smart. I mix them up too. So many bland men of no accomplishment.

7 Likes

Constitution FTW.

And a schedule to review and change ir to take account of the fact the world changes.

6 Likes

They’re still having a really shitty day flailing and failing and that we can all enjoy.

6 Likes

Oh my god, you’re right.

Scared Saturday Night Live GIF by HULU

4 Likes

I thought this was one of those parody bits at first.

13 Likes

What the fucking fuck?

Okay, to recap:

Today just went from bad to farce-

We started out this morning with Truss having to sack one of her own advisers for leaking abusive comments to the press

We have this week’s PMQ’s where she has to apologise for last week’s mess, does another U-turn on pensions, and faces a barrage of calls for her to resign

Then the home secretary resigned (a record short 43 days into the job), after having been caught using her personal email to send official government documents

Using the opportunity to give Truss a kicking on the way out

Then Truss turns tonight’s vote in parliament into a massive showdown- The opposition called for a vote on one of the few remaining policies that’s unmistakeably hers- opening up swathes of England to Fracking for natural gas. This is (to put it mildly) rather unpopular with the rural, conservative-voting population of the areas affected.
The vote turns into a confused mess, with 40 of her MPs rebelling and not voting with her, despite the whips bullying and intimidating MPs into voting their way

For a while, Truss doesn’t even seem to have voted in her own crunch vote
Then the chief and deputy whips are reported to have resigned
Then they un-resign.

I repeat- what the fucking fuck?

18 Likes

Dawnie Jefferson Reaction GIF by Originals

11 Likes

Yeah, this government is done. We need a general election to fulfil the promise of those YouGov polls.

Stephen Colbert Good Luck GIF

12 Likes

Then something good might come out of this clusterfuck and we might be able to afford food AND fuel this winter.

10 Likes