UK Political Thread, part the second

Potentially an indictment for misconduct in public office for the politicians involved. Common law offence, maximum sentence at large (so theoretically up to life imprisonment). I’m not sure that would be a great idea (look at Catalonia) but it’s a potential option if Westminster decides that coercion is required.

1 Like

Fixed that.

1 Like

Looks like they’ll be needing an extradition treaty going forward.

2 Likes

I tend to think that the Supreme Court were stuffed here. They had effectively previously established that if there was a political decision needed on something, they would punt it back to Parliament (cf. Article 50) even if they felt that the legal position was obvious, and even if they knew that Parliament wouldn’t care about the legal position (because Parliament can change the law, which the Supreme Court cannot, it can merely interpret it, and there’s a big difference between those two things.)

6 Likes
9 Likes

The next move from the Scottish Government is to treat the next general election as a referendum, with gaining a majority in Scotland behind Independence -supporting parties acting as a yes.

The political situation in the nearer term is now being defined by the question of the Nation being held in the union/empire against our will.

6 Likes

See Ireland 1918. What was known at the time as the Hungarian solution to the failure of the imperial power to hold a plebiscite.

6 Likes

Nobody wants that. Westminster stupidity and intransigence remain constants, but it’s not time to go to the post office.

7 Likes
9 Likes

TBF they aren’t necessarily related.

I don’t think the English empire will be as unprepared to lose territory as it was. Scotland needs to make assurances on military bases and resources deals before the election so there are no surprises.

I don’t think that there’s any territory England will particularly want to hold on to.1918 was before the Starute of Westminster. It’s a world away for the English Wmpire.

6 Likes

I don’t know… they might fight tooth and nail over Scotland (and possibly North Ireland) since it’s been part of the empire for so long… then again, they finally gave up colonizing (most of) Ireland (primarily because the Irish would not accept colonization any longer… but still).

8 Likes

You really can’t hold a territory in the same way any more though. Scotland needs to find the right negotiating assurances. Make this easy. Like Brexit should have been done on NI to the benefit of EVERYONE. Sideline the crazy extremists who will destroy the Conservatives.

7 Likes

Sure… common sense… but we also know that the crazies are kind of in charge now… I mean this whole Brexit mess for one. It makes literally no sense, but here the UK is… :woman_shrugging:

I don’t know. Letting Scotland go if they come up with the right set of negotiations would make sense, but in these weird ass days, who knows…

6 Likes

I hear that East Anglia and Wessex are bowing out next.

7 Likes

Brexit is a really unfortunate foretaste of exactly what Westminster’s “negotiation” strategy is going to be like.

Their stance on that has been non-stop Cakeism, trying to push other countries around as if they were still an imperial power, reneging on treaties whenever convenient, and constant bad faith in negotiations.

And now that they’re out of the EU, and everything isn’t magically better, they need a new scapegoat.

9 Likes

Mercian separatists, in common cause with the Free Cumbria movement.

9 Likes
7 Likes
5 Likes

There’s a reddit thread with some good comments

5 Likes

So how’s that Brexit dividend doing?

In one page of BBC news today:

I bet everyone’s so glad the Tories have “taken back control”.

11 Likes