UK Politics Thread

Good news for Spain.

I’m sure the UK will really benefit by swapping young workers for retirees. But still, yay freedom, right?

5 Likes

This’ll go well. I’m sure Trump’s really interested in giving the UK a good trade deal. Not that they can actually negotiate one until they’ve left the EU, anyway (by which time, fingers crossed, he’ll be gone).

May really is useless. I’m sure going over to kiss his ring will be popular in the UK. How many people protested him in London today, 100K?

With Trump, the de facto leader of the free world is Merkel now, anyway. Good job we haven’t done anything to screw the relationship with Germany up.

https://twitter.com/codendahl/status/822199114356166659

5 Likes

I wonder what the chances are that this happens again and the Donald mistakes a misdirected test fire as an attempt by the British to reclaim the colonies? That would be interesting.

3 Likes

Watching the Supremes live on the BBC. Looks like May et al now need to convince Parliament to pass Article 50. They will probably succeed, but there should be lots of entertainment in the meantime.

4 Likes

If MPs voted with their conscience, it wouldn’t pass. But it’ll breeze through.

1 Like

I read a thing the other day saying that EU rules mean it’s impossible to, say, re-nationalise the railways or the power companies. I’m wondering if that’s one reason why Corbyn is so lukewarm on the issue. If Brexit led to a Labour victory and that happened, I’d laugh like a fucking drain.

5 Likes

I’m not a fan of nationalisation. If your boss is the government they are still your boss.

Give me workers self-management anyday. There are no EU rules against that (not that I’ll believe there are any anti-nationalisation rules until someone can point me to the relevant europa.eu page)

1 Like

I wish I could remember where the fuck I saw it. Mind you, for all the good any species of Kremlinology does with regards to 2017 politics, I might as well sit with my pants off huffing glue and shouting at my dick. I just wish The Culture would arrive in a GSV and fix everything, dammit.

4 Likes

But what would the GSV’s name be? :slight_smile:

I quite like GSV That’s enough of this shit.

1 Like

I thought they arrived in the 70s and left us as an experiment to see if we could sort out our problems on our own. We seem to be failing :cry:

3 Likes

Fuck it. If the Culture won’t save us then we’ll make our own Culture!

Rules to make your own Culture names are on wikipedia. I recommend blanking out the real name part though.

-Sun-Earther ██████ Borderer ██████ of Carlisle

3 Likes

So a day after sucking up to the Fascist in chief, Theresa May is selling weapons to another awesome world leader.

4 Likes

One day, there will be a Conservative leader or cabinet minister who is an exception to the “lower than vermin” rule. I don’t know how far in the future that will be though, although it seems distant at the moment.

5 Likes

ETA: this petition is up to 33,000 votes and it’s only 11.30am here - 100,000 and it gets voted on in Parliament - sign it while it’s hot!!

4 Likes

10 times that now.

May really looks like a fucking idiot running over to kowtow to cheeto Hitler so quickly.

5 Likes

I hope the Brexiteers are watching the utter fiasco unfolding in the US and thinking again about how to handle immigration relations with Europe following March 2019

4 Likes

Nah, more likely they’re thinking they just didn’t try hard enough.

4 Likes

Right now I am glad I didn’t join the Labour party.

4 Likes

I paid my £25 and wrote “to vote for Jeremy” on the reasons for joining section. Funnily enough, I never received the welcome pack.

4 Likes

Over 600K signatures - gone past the last petition that tried to stop him going to the UK now.

4 Likes