UK Politics Thread

The part that really aggravated me about the clip above that when I dug a little to refresh on the details of the ‘curved banana’ press froth, I just found:

…the same media that’ve been spreading midleading anti-EU crap like this for decades are mocking this person for actually believing their untruths.

(Also, oh hey, the number of replies I can give daily has now refreshed, so I can finally post this. :wink:

5 Likes
1 Like

You can’t blame them really, selling weapons to dictators and cosying up to orange tyrants for leftovers will only bring in so much scratch.

3 Likes

Who wouldn’t want a piece of history like that. To admire while sitting on your private island, well away from the effects of the resulting chaos.

5 Likes

Thanks, Jezza!

Fucks sake.

4 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes

Pathetic, spineless, shameful, ineffectual opposition.

So, no amendments got passed? Jesus.

Oh and the dubs amendment was scrapped

That twitter rant from mitch benn was correct…

That my children will grow up NOT as citizens of the wayward rebellious cousin of a family of nations, but as subjects of a SMALL pinched, smug, insular, tight-fisted, tiny-minded, shrivel-hearted, piss-blooded NASTY little island.

Bonus points for finding your mp who voted against guaranteeing EU citizen’s rights (mine is on there i misread, he voted for it).

4 Likes

This has not been confirmed but it sounds plausible, any doubt that the UK is turning toward right-wing nationalism is rapidly diminishing. Any chance labour will oppose this? Maybe? Or will they again utterly utterly fail to be an effective opposition while the torys continue to steam roller over our public services, civil/digital rights, education, basic fucking human decency…

4 Likes

Apparently something happened to Ken Loach yesterday, but the BBC aren’t saying anything. They must be protecting him because they are so left wing. /s

He won Best British Film at the BAFTAs with I,Daniel Blake.

5 Likes

Well, that was a difficult read.

I had to take a break from politics. I’m almost afraid to go and look again.

I’m super pessimistic about Scotland voting out in 2018 but then, I was super pessimistic about there even being another referendum and, well, it looks like it’s a possibility now.

Maybe we’ll have a European nation for all of y’all south of the border to escape to? What with the brain drain and all, we could use some people with control over their faculties to balance the equation.

1 Like

Can I have a quadruple facepalm and a lot of swearing, please? :angry:

For those (non-UKians?) who don’t know about what they’re transparently aping here:

6 Likes

Um, I apologise to @miasm, who I accept may now be whimpering in a corner after their previous comment.

I think the whole situation just makes manning the lifeboats even more attractive.

And I think we need someone to adapt that Bugs Bunny Florida gif.

You get 2 for the price of 1 with UKIP scandals this week. Caught lying. Again.

2 Likes

Quelle surprise.

And particularly bald-faced. Wonder what effect[edit: how big an effect] this will have on their support in Liverpool?

1 Like

Is talk of City States really still too futuristic to inject into the conversation any more?

I was most struck with the idea of offering individuals European citizenship. Is there some kind of radical decentralisation being, or at least beginning to be, fuelled by the current, corporately enabled, fascist power-grab?
The more I think about this idea of side-stepping the corruption, the more it puts me in mind of what the Mars people want. Out.
They want to literally, physically move out from under the heel, but perhaps there are more subtle methods?

Still got my fingers crossed for NASA to park an asteroid worth four quintillion dollars around an easily accessible Lagrange point and wait for everybody to figure out what that means.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Total, utter, grade-a gobshite.

6 Likes