UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson in intensive care

I’m not sure if the situation is better in England, but here in the US we are pretty tightly screwed there.

There are 2.9 hospital beds for every 1,000 people in the United States. That’s fewer than Turkmenistan (7.4 beds per 1,000), Mongolia (7.0), Argentina (5.0) and Libya (3.7). In fact, the US ranks 69th out of 182 countries analyzed by the World Health Organization. This lack of hospital beds is forcing doctors across the country to ration care under Covid-19, pushing up the number of preventable deaths.

19 Likes

Happens to people who obstinately ignore medical advice and safety protocols and work hard to spread misinformation.

See also Rand Paul.

10 Likes

Speaking of whom, I’ve been wondering how he’s doing.

2 Likes

There seems to be no news on that front. I see 2 options. He’s coughing at his neighbor over some lawn dispute. Or he’s in Peter Theil’s bunker getting transfusions of sweet sweet young people blood.

14 Likes

These are the guidelines for the hospital where Boris Johnson is.

From the information that has belatedly come out of Downing Street, I’d currently guess he is a borderline amber-red at best.

Downing Street spokespeople are clearly only telling us what is going on when it can’t be denied anymore.

20 Likes

Think of it as herd immunity in action.

11 Likes

I feel a lot of conflicting feelings about all this, because on the one hand, Boris Johnson is an awful, awful human being, was so reckless he all but deliberately infected himself, and initially was cool with a “herd immunity” strategy, despite all the deaths it would cause, so this feels like a self-inflicted and well-earned injury. But on the other hand, by being sick he’s risking others, taking up valuable hospital space and resources that could be used for someone else, and he leaves someone substantially worse in charge, Dominic “I don’t support the human rights act, and I don’t believe in economic and social rights” Raab.

So yeah, hopes for a very speedy recovery.

10 Likes

If he is intubated (which I think is likely) he will be out of action for months, assuming he survives.

13 Likes

1000 times this. Plus, if Johnson – who is relatively young, exercises regularly, and has the best medical attention – can get this sick, it is a really bad sign for the prospects of others. I loathe the guy but hope with all my heart he pulls out of this.

Next time he should heed the advice of his electoral opponents:

8 Likes

Is Elmo going to be PM now?

11 Likes

Hopefully it won’t come to that, but yeah, it’s appearing increasingly likely. It seems he’s at least on oxygen at this point, though no one’s admitting it. My hopes for a speedy recovery aren’t terribly realistic, even if, on some level, “speedy” is relative.

Yeah, clearly, as with other viral infections, there’s a genetic component, not just an age/health one, in terms of who gets more seriously ill. He is, however, overweight/obese which is a risk factor/make other risk factors more likely. This seems to be why young Americans are being so much more badly hit by the virus than in any other country so far. (Though, of course, even young “fit” people are dying.) Hopefully at this point people are realizing that the idea that only old/sick people are at risk is totally wrong.

4 Likes

No.

9 Likes

I preferred him before he got into politics.

ETA: but thank you for the link as I wasn’t aware Lord Buckethead.

6 Likes

Usually a person does not get sent to the ICU as a “precaution”. My guess is this is much more serious than they are letting on.

My understanding is that once you’re intubated you have less than 10% chance of survival.

7 Likes

There was also Count Binface, who was deposed by the new Lord Buckethead.

Parody candidates are common in British elections.

8 Likes

It’s 50/50 assuming there are no other health problems, and Boris Johnson will not be coming off ventilation until he is cured or dead.

5 Likes

I get the two cyber guys but who is the Elmo looking dude? He seems out of place.

1 Like
4 Likes

Oh I see.

Looking at the lord buckethead wiki page I see him and others mentioned.

1 Like

I kinda miss Screaming Lord Sutch.

9 Likes