"Ultra-thin" iPhone coming in 2025

The screen will measure somewhere between the 6.12-inch diagonal display of the standard iPhone and the 6.69-inch display of the iPhone Pro Max

What? I don’t pay a lot of attention to Apple’s ongoing ‘new and shiny’ shit (devices owned = 2012 Macbook, 2027 Macbook, 3rd Gen iPad, 2nd Gen iPad mini and iPhone SE 2020 only a year ago acquired to replace an iPhone 6) but don’t they do a standard 4.7 inch screen any more? Like a ‘normal’ phone?

Exactly.

My iPhone is a couple of years old and gets a few hours of battery life. I don’t want a thinner iPhone.

Probably more people than the marketing fuckwits at Apple think. Sometimes, Apple looks like a vast corporate machine for getting people to brush their tongues.

It’s not just annoying. It’s an entirely unhealthy obsession - the sort of obsessive behaviour that would get many others recommended for therapy.

Perhaps because people who are not obsessed with bigger phones or thinner phones, actually hang on to their phones for longer (see my list of devices above). Apple hates us, for that, of course.

2 Likes

I have often thought about getting “corner bumpers” like the ones made by Corners4 or Edge. Thanks for reminding me about this, I might look into it next time I’m in the vicinity of a store that has them.

I don’t know how they stay on. At least some of them are connected, which makes a little more sense:

2 Likes

that’s kind of cool, i’ll have to check them out. i don’t think ive seen them before

But they weren’t just smaller, they were lesser in other ways as well. They were the cheaper option in multiple ways.

4 Likes

I may be misremembering, but I thought they were “lesser” in the ways that mostly came from being smaller, not as much space for the camera system so they took out a stabilized lens. Same CPU speed, but it thermally throttled more because it didn’t manage to shear as much heat. No 3x optical zoom (which was new in the larger phones that year).

Same storage and RAM configurations if I recall correctly. Less battery because physically smaller is less space for battery. I think it had the same display technology.

I might be misremembering, but I can’t remember anything that was lesser about the mini that wouldn’t require it being “less mini” to fix. Unless a higher power density battery was available I guess. I mean it used LiIon, but not all LiIon batteries are equal…

No, they were heavily defeatured, and not just from a space-limited hardware perspective.

2 Likes

Sure, it is totally reasonable that a particular phone doesn’t fit your needs/desires, and any accessory that makes it do that isn’t nearly as good as having it built into the phone in the first place. If you don’t like the trade offs presented by the combination of phone plus accessory then it ain’t good for you.

It may well be true that an entire set of other people’s needs/wants can only be satisfied by making the phone lighter (and maybe thinner) starting from your perfect phone there would be no way to use an accessory to turn it into the phone other people want. That doesn’t make the thinner smaller battery phone something you like or are required to accept.

On the other hand I doubt Apple cares about what you or I want in a phone except in the aggrate. If there are 800 of you and a million people that want the lighter phone despite a lower battery life (or more likely “holding the line on battery life”) they are absolutely going to make something that the millions will buy and not bother with the thing that might move 800 units. Actually to be honest I don’t think Apple would bother to design a phone that would only sell a million units either, 10x or 100x both the numbers I guess.

My guess is if a smaller thicker phone would sell 10% as well as the “flagship” it would be profitable enough to justify a place in the line up and the R&D costs to design, and marketing to sell it. However I’m not in Apple marketing, so I could be way off on the numbers (maybe 1%…maybe 20%?). However Apple tends to prefer a simpler product lineup. They let some get messy, but they do tend to stick to a smaller set of base models then most companies. Which I guess they have a reason for, but they are also basically one company competing against a whole industry.

You can get micro sized Android phones because a half dozen companies think that enough people buy them that they will plant a flag there. You can get cameras with phones built around them for the same reason. If I were in charge of products at Apple (and I very much am not) I would totally try a few of those things.

Beats me if they had loftier goals for the iPhone mini when they made it, but whatever their internal targets were it didn’t hit them because it isn’t around anymore.

Cool, I mean that is a thing I hear a lot of people say. Before Apple started making big phones it was a thing a whole lot of iPhone owners said, and for sure something Apple said when it referred to the larger Android phones of the era as “Phablets”. However the people that do actually prefer larger phones appear to dramatically outnumber people that like small phones. Anytime Apple brought out a larger phone it became the more popular phone of that rough price category, sometimes more popular then a much less costly smaller variant.

Apple may not like doing focus groups, and when SJ was running the company it didn’t do them, but it has pretty much always payed attention to which of it’s products sold better then which of it’s other products.

You may dislike big phones, but the majority of people love them. Or maybe they hate them, but they buy them in preference to the smaller ones, that’s for sure.

1 Like

The one in the lower picture looks like something Jack Lint might have on his tool tray.

1 Like

That image tricked me. I don’t care about the thickness of the phone, but I would pay quite a bit more for a phone that small.

1 Like

I mean good on them for pushing tech to even further limits. Besides shrinking on-die transistors to 2ηm, they’ve squeezed discrete parts down to 0.38mm by 0.38mm parts (size code 015015) and 0.4mm by 0.2mm (size 01005) which are commercially available today. For comparison, a typical grain of table salt is 0.13mm. And who knows if Apple is asking for even smaller parts?

But it still should never be done at the expense of usability.

1 Like

(Sorry for the Xitter link)

Looks interesting! A watch case that turns it into a tiny phone, sorta kinda. The iPod click wheel was a pretty fun interface.

My headcanon is Apple’s legendarily shitty strain relief happened from Steve Jobs complaining about how ugly it is, and demanding designers do what they can to eliminate it. It certainly wouldn’t surprise me if this was actually the case. Of course strain relief has a purpose and without it you end up with short-lived, fraying, and dangerous fire hazards. But at least people won’t have to look at ugly strain relief.

I’d rather have my expensive cables and power adapters not break prematurely or catch fire.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.