Unassuming home features bizarre theme room with no obvious purpose

My childhood home had the “Dirt Room”, which was a half-dug chamber in the back of the basement, thanks to too much excavating being done during construction. It was used as a storage room.

2 Likes

(via DIGG)

10 Likes

I wish every house had a unique bizarre theme room. I imagine an alternate, less overpopulated Earth with less wealth inequality where everyone is able to get a house and the “weird room” is a fun tradition. Part of the reason I love House on the Rock so much is because it’s an entire building made out of nothing BUT weird theme rooms.

2 Likes

That price is harder to understand than that room. You might get a 1 bedroom condo for that round these parts.

2 Likes

… until anybody walks on the floor one level up :hear_no_evil:

2 Likes

I have a memory of some early childhood friends, their parents built a house and one of the things they added as part of the build was a slide from the kids room on the 2nd floor down to the living room and it was supposedly a “laundry chute” but realistically it was a slide.

Since then i’ve always wanted a slide (or a secret room, just because) if i ever had enough money to build a house.

11 Likes

I am going to vote for a room for kids to run around and climb on over an adult play room.

Put in a bunch of bean bag chairs and stuffed animals, you could have a lot of adventures.

2 Likes

I thought the same at first glance, but the washer and dryer aren’t in the kitchen. They have enough angles of the kitchen to show that entire space. I assume it’s just a laundry room with the same cabinetry.

3 Likes

That sounds like a blast. The house I grew up in had an actual laundry chute, just a vertical shaft leading straight down to the laundry room beneath. I was always slightly tempted even though there was no slide, just a vertical fall to a hard tile floor, but luckily I managed to restrain myself until I was too big to fit through the little door.

5 Likes

mmmmmm carpet burn

3 Likes

https://i.redd.it/4zz6nx124zd91.gif

2 Likes

There is a TikTok creator who is digging a tunnel under her house. I’m not entirely sure why.

3 Likes

Thanks, that’s the exact Simpsons clip that I was thinking of!

4 Likes

As far as i know there’s a youtuber that’s also building a tunnel under his house. Also unsure why (beyond the typical answer of: For the clicks), to be fair i havent been curious enough to watch the videos.

5 Likes

I understand there’s a reason for the low price, but it’s still painful.

3 Likes

Did anyone else try to do the magic eye poster trick to see if there was a hidden image?

5 Likes

So the laundry room is so posh that you couldn’t process it as such. I can understand that.

2 Likes

… to fight the Martians obviously :space_invader:

3 Likes

mallrats-sailboat

4 Likes

It’s a hobby for some:

6 Likes