Undercover cop beaten by colleagues during protest wins $23.5m payout

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/18/undercover-cop-beaten-by-colleagues-during-protest-wins-23-5m-payout.html

14 Likes

ACAB includes this dude.

19 Likes

Right- where’s everybody else’s $23.5M?

24 Likes

Perverse, indeed! I guess this is one twisted way to plan for retirement…

11 Likes

Need that confused button meme to cover the cops’ internal investigation results with “admit guilt” vs “pay workman’s comp claim” or something.

8 Likes

Yeah, of course, of all the heinous attacks by cops on bystanders during anti-police brutality protests, it’s the cop that gets the huge payout. Regular people don’t get those kinds of settlements even when the cops murder someone in cold blood.

Oh, and it’s not that his payout is $23.5 million - he already had a separate lawsuit against the city that netted him $5 million, and this was just one lawsuit against one of the three cops, who didn’t bother responding - he’s still got the other two lawsuits pending. (But I suppose it also means that he’s not going to get twenty million dollars from this guy.)

11 Likes

So they paid 23.5M of taxpayer money for the right to beat a black cop, retire him, and make the department slightly whiter.

In Missouri, that’s known as a “win/win”.

9 Likes

863271a4-94d0-4da7-a23f-f5d17ca036d4_text

9 Likes

Yeah, in some ways these lawsuits remind me of the cops who file disability claims because shooting and killing unarmed people (or allowing others to be killed without intervening) gave them PTSD. It’s one of the many ways that cops have been defunding the communities where they used to work. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

7 Likes

He’ll get a pay out.
We’ll foot the bill.

And nothing will change.

Unless cops start 1) going to jail or 2) pay out of their own pockets, there are no real consequences.

2 Likes

My two-point plan to stop this from happening ever again:

1. Implement a National Database of LEOs and require all Police Departments to background check all applicants. Record all investigations/complaints and the result(s). If the cop resigns prior to the completion of investigation, that fact is recorded also.

2. Any successful lawsuit is paid from the police retirement fund

Number 1 will prevent cops from job-hopping away from consequences. Number 2 will instantly stop all bad behavior, because the “good” cops will self-police their own at the risk of losing their pensions.

Yes, I know it is magic thinking on my part :crazy_face:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.