Undercover investigator: Facebook moderators were instructed not to remove racist far-right material

I am a member of some wilfully obscure small websites. Their mods are shit-hot. Facebook mods, well, aren’t.

1 Like

Extrapolated from (youtube) comment sections, I’m afraid this is correct. :frowning:

Slightly depending on how you define ‘nazi’ though. I guess the full-blown ones are relatively rare. But a lot of their ideas are becoming depressingly mainstream.

1 Like

The alt-right has been playing Facebook for years.

When they tried to game Facebook to promote far-right stories and fakes, the human moderators pushed back. Then they kicked up a big fuss that the humans were biased, and Facebook switched to robots, giving us the 2016 mess. And now…?

I wouldn’t be shocked if alt-right groups were attempting to place members as Facebook moderators. (After all, if Channel 4 could do it…)

3 Likes

Shit-hot moderaters, that’s enough for me! Where do I sign up?

The guys at Facebook know very well that this is the motor that keeps the site running. Facebook is like the Yellow Press, only community driven. Without its controversial content, it would very soon lose its attraction to at least half of its users and slowly die.

1 Like

And nothing of value will be lost.

4 Likes

I don’t see why anybody is surprised by this. An actual left leaning american government would likely break Facebook, google, and Amazon up. There is very little they have to gain from being fair, but everything to lose if they are.

These companies, particularly the parts of them that intersect with social developments, HAVE to push to the right, it is a matter of self preservation. This noise that they censor right wing thought is a matter of useful idiocy.

Also…is there any reason my autocorrect capitalizes the other companies but not google?

1 Like

I have never been able to understand griefers, despite knowing a couple of them for many years.

Schadenfreude is a reprehensible emotion, that we should feel bad about feeling. But some people revel in it, and will work to increase the amount of sorrow in the world, for reasons that seem coherent to them if not to me.

Oh yeah, but I also think there are millions of Americans who have essentially fascist politics but are not part of any fascist organization and so are not so easily tracked by anti hate groups, but social media companies are able to see this because everyone uses social media. And I think that social media companies don’t do much about it because they would be banning a lot of lucrative traffic rather than that it’s too hard to stamp it out. Where social media is legally required to moderate the far right like in many European countries, suddenly Facebook is pretty good at banning the nazis.

3 Likes

Yeah, it’s not really technically too hard, but it’s hard enough that implementation will decrease profits, which (in the absence of punishment) is definitely far too hard for Facebook’s liking.

I think Twitter is actually architecturally a hate machine, though. I can’t see how you could fix it; as fast as you ban the haters and griefers, they can grab another DHCP address and make a new account. It’s the whack-a-mole problem again; there are internet connections freely available all over the place now, especially in urban environments.

2 Likes

As have lefties? My wife got one of these news posts about trump that sent her into a tizzy. I made a mental note of the source and looked it up later, and it was a site that intentionally throws out outrage inducing stuff from unreputable sources. Assholes, shot up my wife’s blood pressure for nothing.

I never go to those!

1 Like

When the Gawker thing happened it was suggested to Zuckerberg that maybe Peter Thiel should have been kicked off the FB board for his financial support of Borrea’s lawsuit, Zuck refused. And the answer’s obvious: They’re both vile sociopathic scumbags for whom accumulating money regardless of the social harm is the most important thing.
In other words, anyone who expects Facebook to do anything to impede the flow of this material is a fool at best. Never going to happen under present management. Which is to Suck because he alone controls the company.

2 Likes

I’ve had this exact thought. But then again, I remember CB radio. Surely noone has ever catfished on CB radio. Surely it was invented alongside the internet.

1 Like

Dude, Brother. Moose and Squirrel. Seriously.

Surely all self proclaimed leftists on the internet truly feel that way in their hearts, especially the rudest ones. Take their word for it.

Other than Colbert who did it openly, I’m not familiar with liberals pretending to be conservatives, HOWEVER…

1 Like

Hey, this story is a pretty big deal.

Let’s hope the fallout is appropriately extensive.

1 Like

I hope she told whichever friend sent it to her* never to send her an article from a disreputable source again. I don’t do FB myself but I’ve found that approach effective when someone has forwarded me nonsense via e-mail.

[* I’m assuming she doesn’t get her news from FB’s feed, which is a terrible idea all around]

1 Like

I don’t recall the specifics of that incident, but it does seem like she gets a lot of random news stuff. I’m not on FB so I don’t know how the details work for that stuff, but I do know that they have their hooks into her veins with the steady barrage of bad news. It’s unhealthy (as has been noted here regularly), even when it’s true.

I’m also not falling for the “spies are under every bed!” nonsense. Were they secretly supporting Hilary?

Palmer previously ran a site called Daily News Bin, described by Snopes.com editor Brooke Binkowski as “basically a pro-Hillary Clinton ‘news site.’

They’re not under every bed. You’ve added that ‘every’ to dismiss nuance. Also “spies” when that’s pretty specific. You’ve either misunderstood or that’s just rhetoric.

It’s your wife, maybe its your bed? Is she left leaning? Is that being taken advantage of… by known leftists? Or have you taken their words, their not particularly liberal words, for it?

And a whattaboutism follow up?

Good luck with the being satisfied while compromising, ever.

Little from column a and little from column b maybe? You’re the one that brought up the cold war reference, so I picked a turn of phrase from that period as well because I thought you were implying that russians were behind liberal outrage news that is not credible. Sorry if I misunderstood. My aim is simply that if my wife is going to be sent into a combo of rage and depression, it be over something true, or at least credible.

I simply don’t understand most of the rest of your post or what you’re getting at.

Have a great day.