University course catalog depicts white men winning again

So three movies, then?

1 Like

Meaning, it seems like every other day, they have some street closed down for filming…

1 Like

March Madness. U of Arizona made it into the Sweet Sixteen - if you’re into any of that. I was trying to be coy and somewhat mysterious by not giving too much away - maybe too much so?

1 Like

Seriously? How did this happen?

Well, it may well be a very diverse place, but when I clicked on the link, here’s the same-old same-old that came up. I mean, wow…

1 Like

Thanks… @daneel guessed correctly!

Yeah, I noticed that too, as soon as I posted a link! They change that ever few weeks to reflect work that faculty and undergrads are doing, so in a couple of weeks it will be new articles - around graduation time they usually have 4 articles on new graduates, and those tend to be PoC or women (or both). I do get the sense that the administration is aware of the make up of the student body and has been actively trying to be more inclusive, so we’ll see how that works out. But the President also has a tendency to dictate (such was the case with the radio station last year), and I think he feels he can get away with that more easily because of the student body, in contrast to Tech or UGA.

They are also starting a website for grad students, and they’ll be doing the same thing there, but with grad students and their work, rotating every couple of weeks. Honestly, that’s the big thing that disappoints me actually, that despite the student body, the faculty and grad students still skew far too heavily white for my tastes (myself included) - though a fair amount of women, although too white. I’d like to think my department is trying to address that, but honestly, given the diversity of the student body, we could do much better and I wish we would. Our chair is a woman, as is the DGS, but lots of white men on the faculty. We need more women and PoC - absolutley. Last faculty hire was an Atlantic world historian, but was a white woman. Before that… it was a black man (West African historian).

I dunno… I want to encourage my undergrads to go for a graduate degree especially in history, but at the same time, academia is a mess lately and jobs are thin on the ground, depending on the field. If you’re dong this now, it’s got to be a labor of love, because the chances of you ending up an adjunct are kind of high.

1 Like

People just not thinking about what the image conveyed. People not being able to think outside their own identities and just seeing a picture that conveys success, not racism or sexism. Or maybe it was intentional and the person who picked it was thinking - “white people are the best”?

1 Like

My daughter knowingly dropped a highly regarded school from her application shortlist (early in the process) when she went to the website and noticed that virtually all of the students were white. “Not even many Asians”, as she put it. There could be a conscious or subconscious attempt to make Certain People feel like UNG is not their kind of place.

1 Like

Agreed. This is up in the hills of North GA, after all. Other public colleges and universities near the city have been becoming more diverse West GA College, which is now the University of West GA, being one example (it’s an hour west of Atlanta). I can imagine someone thinking, “well, what about OUR kids.”

Actually, that reminds me, there was a kid from Alabama, who came to GSU and tried to start a “European” student association, which he of course claimed wasn’t racist. But the kid had all sorts of ties to racist youth organizations. He basically got laughed off campus with his little “European pride” organization and the University wouldn’t give him a charter. We all kept wondering if we were going to get him in a class, but I don’t know if anyone I know did. Hopefully, he hightailed it back to where ever he came from once he realized that shit was not going to fly around here. I’m sure he thought of himself as some sort of white vangard in “taking back GSU” from non-whites, so what a douchecanoe. The local news even interviewed his ass… just gross.

2 Likes

Also, check this story out.

Kennesaw is another college near Atlanta, and is rather white in make up. Of course, this comes from a lecturer in the business department, but still. So, KSU, also stay classy…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.