University dean resigns after school denies Chick-fil-A a location on campus

Hey now, to be fair, she did say “as well as other faiths” and I’m toooootally sure she didn’t say it with her fingers crossed behind her back :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Who wants to bet that if the restaurant was given approval and there was a student protest, this heel would be out there with a bullhorn shouting about millennial entitlement and mocking the notions of political correctness and safe spaces.

Unfortunately, I rather suspect that she actually resigned because she was going to get some kind of kickback and was either found out, or is just throwing a tantrum. Looking at the situation objectively, she abandoned a post of authority and power because the university… denied a permit to a quick-service restaurant? I somehow rather doubt that she gave all of that up–the kind of thing a person works decades to achieve–over her equal and undying “no-homo” love of Jesus and chicken sandwiches.

4 Likes

And that the early church shifted theirs to Sunday to blur their worship of God’s son with the existing worship of the Sun God in Constantinople.

1 Like

Wow, OK, I live in a city, and I only make 75k. Didn’t know how bad I had it.

My point was that her supporters are framing this as self-sacrifice, a poor Christian taking the hit for her Lord and Savior against the big bad liberal elites. Meanwhile, she’s still drawing a salary that any financially responsible person can live well off of, while maintaining a position among those same liberal elites. She hasn’t sacrificed anything.

3 Likes

ok, you replied to me with a criticism about what her supporters are saying, of which I am not one of them nor did I even reference them in any way. So perhaps next time provide clarity on that note; because as it stands your response reads as a direct response/counter to my post…which I believe you are saying it isn’t. Context matters. And how much she makes either as a dean or as a tenured prof is not actually relevant to the primary story which is about her belief system (as backwards as it is).

Additionally to both your comment about “any financially responsible person can live well off of” and to @smulder as well…while it begins to tread off topic to deep dive into what is considered financially viable as a baseline salary to live in the US; I specifically qualified my statement with “that depends on where and how you live” …because, well IT DOES. $123k with no student debt, a modest home, no kids or elderly relatives to attend to, and living in the suburbs of Kentucky…yes. You can live quite comfortably. Living in New England, even in a modest 3 bed 1 bath ranch, having 6 figures in student debt from your spouse pursuing 2 post grad degrees, 3 kids all approaching college age consecutively…well, $123k doesn’t go very far…AT ALL. And if you think it does then clearly you aren’t living that life, because I do. There are certainly plenty of other situations and circumstances that would fit into a modest six figure income not being “easy living” just ask pretty much anyone living in LA or San Fran. The specifics matter when it comes to determining income to living conditions. Not everyone who lives pay check to paycheck even on a $100k salary is living irresponsibly or making poor decisions.

1 Like

My view of what “financially responsible” means is clearly different from yours. Which is clearly colored by my own experience. And since my views on this subject, stated in the terms in which I would typically express them, would probably send this already unfortunately contentious conversation into full-on hostility, I will concede your point. Apologies.

2 Likes

$123k is double the median household income in the US. To ever earn a single income that high is far beyond the hopes of the overwhelming majority of most Americans. Most professors I know are well aware of how much privilege they enjoy to earn such salaries.

The relevance to the story is that Newman’s six-figure salary comes directly from the $42k in tuition paid by the students at her school, and as a Dean she is (was) paid that salary to demonstrate vision and leadership that benefits her institution and her students. Taking a personal stand in support of bigotry and discrimination demonstrates that she is incapable of fulfilling that responsibility, or the responsibilities associated with supervising, mentoring, or educating the students who pay every dollar of her income.

7 Likes

No it isn’t relevant because we have no idea what her salary is. The above reply came from someone saying “I did some googling on what salaries are for the school…shes making six figures” but we don’t know that, now do we. We can only confirm what the range is that is posted.

Additionally, this came as a reply to my statement “My wife was a professor for a few years, its not always all that fun or cushy”. The retort about how much she made was in essence stating “Well, if she makes 100k+ then she’s fine” which is not true. How much you are paid is not always directly proportional to the pleasure or comfort of the job. There are jobs people would gladly do for 100k and there are jobs people would say “You couldn’t pay me enough to do that job”.

What she makes is completely and entirely irrelevant to the story. What position/role she holds IS.

And as I mentioned multiple times…income thresholds in comparison to cost of living are very different based on where and how you are living. double the median household means something very different in North Texas as compared to San Francisco. It is not an apples to apples comparison.

I only go there on Sundays!

Wow, if people can’t make it on over $100 grand a year, then we should definitely raise the minimum wage.

7 Likes

Honestly, this sounds like “You poor people are lucky you don’t have my mortgage payments on my asset investment, and access to college, and you’re lucky you don’t have to pay the money I put into my own kids. You’re lucky, your can of beans is way cheaper than the food I have to buy. I’m sooooo broke after paying into my own lifestyle.”

9 Likes

Fitting that they also somehow miss the whole ‘Jesus was a Jew’ thing.

Let’s see. What was that one comment I heard someone say way, way back. Oh, yes. “Jesus wasn’t a Jew. He was a Christian.”

4 Likes

You can tell me “it sounds like” all you like. The truth of the matter is it does depend. A dollar goes a different distance depending on life style choices and location. This is not debatable.

It is directly the reason why the same job/role has a different pay scale depending on the location of said job/role…even in the same company.

again…whatever she makes irrelevant to her craptastic pious viewpoint. And happiness and comfort are not directly tied to income or wealth.

Holy fucksocks; how I wish ‘the stupid’ literally burned those so severely afflicted with it.

10 Likes

Yep, if I use all my money to get a Jaguar I-Pace, I am as cash-poor as someone with no money.

I also don’t think her income informs her bad take on a purchasing decision made by a school, but I also don’t think she’s to be pitied for only making six figures.

5 Likes

I think the person in question’s income (or any loss thereof) is only marginally relevant to the actual topic, which is her flagrant and unrepentant bigotry.

11 Likes

That would be nice, but I’d think not as long as the stupid ones hang together (empowering the stupidity) and all reinforced by a blond, blue-eyed Jesus…

2 Likes

And by all means please find the point where I said she should be. As stated once again her salary has zero to do with anything about this story.

Edit: @Melz2 is exactly right.

Again, I agree her income has nothing to do with her reasons for her resignation. Why are you telling me that? That’s what I said. I’m also not the one who originally went on the weird tangent about how it’s hard to get by on 100k a year.

The university dean will be fine. I don’t think people should worry about her future lost salary, because she was making enough already.

3 Likes

I mean, the regular stuff the university dining halls sell can get you plenty fat too.

SOURCE: I ate a shit-ton of chicken nuggets at the all-you-can-eat dining hall my freshman year