University dean resigns after school denies Chick-fil-A a location on campus

Newman wrote that she asked administrators to apologize for offending Christians

I’d ask Newman to apologize for offending Christians - she’s implying that they’re necessarily bigots.

12 Likes

Win-win! 

1 Like

By the way, happy birthday @knoxblox !

4 Likes

persecution n.: Being a member of the dominant majority, and filled with self-pity.

8 Likes

oh my. food is just food. shouldn’t it be more important to not let deep fried corporate foods in these institutions? that is the issue.

1 Like

"… Chick-fil-A’s chief operating officer Dan T. Cathy …saying that those who “have the audacity to define what marriage is about” were “inviting God’s judgment on our nation”

Who, exactly, gets to define marriage?.
/S

1 Like

If Chick-Fil-A didn’t want to have people judge the restaurant by its political positions then maybe they shouldn’t have used their restaurant to publicly fund and promote homophobic causes.

13 Likes

Based on my quick Googling, she’s likely making six figures at least. I can’t speak to the overall experience at Rider, but I have a hard time believing she’s suffering all that much.

2 Likes

123k is not much. At all. And while that depends on where and how you live, I fail to see how much she makes as a professor as relevant in the slightest to this story.

yes but not an english professor…a business school professor. Difference.

2 Likes

"…she says she actually has "a problem with University leadership passing judgement on Chick-fil-A’s values which are reflective with the values of the Christian as well as other faiths.”

Christianity = bigotry, got it. Nice that she comes right out and says as much, though I was leaning in that direction anyway. Any other Christians who disagree, take it up with her, she’s the one who said it.

2 Likes

Let her cry herself to sleep in her MyPillow.

3 Likes

Geez. I’d be out of debt and likely be able to live work-free for 5 years or so.

8 Likes

As I said. Depending on where and how you live.

Not if you consider the bottom 90% subhuman, and thus outside your statistical universe

9 Likes

“Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and unto God the things that are God’s”

That means giving up tenure too.

2 Likes

Fast food franchises are allowed on university campuses in the USA? :thinking:
No wonder obesity is on the rise.

As a supposed Christian, there’s certainly at least ONE prominent story of a Jewish person actually being persecuted for his religious and political convictions she should be well aware of…

3 Likes

It’s been that way for decades. Gotta lock in those lucrative corporate sponsorships when the neoliberal government keeps cutting ed funding.

Moreso than the garbage food, though, the “freshman 15” (15 pounds Americans anecdotally acquire when they go to college) is attributed to alcohol. Because we also have a bizarre late legal drinking age, which results in college kids going all rumspringa as soon as they’re away from home, not knowing how to control themselves, and developing dependency by the time they graduate.

America! What a country!

4 Likes

At my alma mater, they moved in a Chick-fil-A, despite the fact that there was another Chick-fil-A at the nearby shopping center, a shopping center which the university ran a shuttle bus to every half hour or so. Chick-fil-A insisted that they had to have the largest fast food space on campus which meant moving out Sbarro.

Well, the student body couldn’t do without a franchise pizza joint on campus, even though the school made its own perfectly palatable pizza, so Papa John’s was moved in.

This was all done at the behest of the at-the-time ruling student political party, a party whose roots were in Conservative Christianity.

3 Likes