Unrevealed Tucker Carlson texts threw Fox News into a panic on eve of trial and forced settlement, say insiders

Fortunately I’m UK based so I’m unable to even stumble on his visage without a subscription or poorly labelled You Tube videos.

I say fortunately I’m in the UK. I’m in the UK nothing fortunate about it. I might be able to avoid this rat dick but we have a whole series of our own rat dicks.

I hear Canada is nice.

16 Likes

Those cases will also have discovery, and now they know where to look. :popcorn:

9 Likes

That’s what they want you to believe! :smile:

Of course, Carlson isn’t the only toxic shit pile the House of Murdock has divested itself of. Fortunately, it is now just a fading memory* and a kick-ass tune from the Jam.

*Though the sad truth is it was just replaced with the Scum on Sunday; staffed by filth from the News of the Screws.

10 Likes

Rogers still has Fox as part of their cable package. They have to allow editing your package to drop channels, but they’ve complifucked it.

Perhaps once fibre is here, I’ll cut out Rogers and Bell and look again.

6 Likes

I thought the same thing. I have not read the summary judgment briefing, but if the biggest issues were truth of reporting and Fox’s belief in its truth then Carlson being a raging asshole probably wouldn’t be relevant to that discussion.

Once he takes the stand at trial, though, the gloves can come off and he can be impeached as to his character for honesty. Normally he can’t be impeached with his character for being a useless shitweasel, but I’m sure Dominion’s lawyers are creative enough to figure something out. That makes me think: motions in limine were probably filed and ruled upon, so Fox very well may have (unsuccessfully) moved to keep the texts out of evidence, and that may be what helped tip the scales on settlement.

Edit: typos

8 Likes

Who wants to self incriminate for the next lawsuit in the hearing for the current one?

3 Likes

And that’s just it: the shit they already say in public is horrifying enough where any rational person should be mortified beyond the ability to forgive them.

Nobody on Fox got fired for what they said in public. Murdoch hands out megaphones to these bastards, because they’re saying exactly what he wants said. I doubt very much that he could have said anything in private that’s worse, at least about right wing topics. The only thing that I can think would get him kicked out is going off-script and insulting Murdoch or Trump personally.

9 Likes

He was a little negative about Trump. /s

More irksome to his employers, however, might have been his off-the-cuff comments about Trump at a time when Fox officially still backed the former president. In early January 2021, in an exchange with members of his staff, Carlson wrote: “We are very, very close to being able to ignore Trump most nights. I truly can’t wait,” and: “I hate him passionately.”

6 Likes

That would truly cross the uncanny valley between art and life for Succession, as Tucker turns into Connor Roy.

1 Like

And the valley barely exists now, as PodSaveAmerica bros did their news bit about Tucker as the Roy siblings.

1 Like

Fox’s lawyers knew about it much earlier in the discovery phase. They just didn’t release it. They knew all along they were going to settle. Revealing all the info would have hurt their negotiating position (ie… cost more $).

3 Likes

Not to mention that Fox was aware of all these issues with one of their employees - and did nothing about it. They kept it on file - just in case.

10 Likes

Starting back in 2005 my idea was to show mainstream advertisers that RW radio hosts were NOT the asset that they thought they were. They were a LIABILITY. Then I went about showing them that. I taught others this technique
on
Bloggers Take on Talk Radio Hosts — New York Times January 15, 2007

A San Francisco talk radio station pre-empted three hours of programming on Friday in response to a campaign by bloggers who have recorded extreme comments by several hosts and passed on digital copies to advertisers.

The lead blogger, who uses the name Spocko, said that he and other bloggers had contacted more than 30 advertisers on KSFO-AM to inform them of comments made on the air and to ask them to pull their ads.

I then moved to the next level by going to the institutional investors and I told them that Beck was not making money. I asked why Murdoch was subsidizing Beck during the 2010 Q3 conference call.
This article in based on my work and the work of Color of Change.

Background here.

6 Likes

Remember the Gretchen Carlson story? They made a movie, Bombshell out of it. One of the ways that they keep the women who were sexually harassed was by making them sign NDAs after a settlement. That allowed people like O’Reilly and others to keep going because the settlement would be lost if they talked about it later.
The woman who was supposed to fix the culture was a woman, new CEO Suzanne Scott. As we are seeing with Abby Grossburg, she didn’t.

"In Bombshell they made a point of Gretchen Carlson looking at her son and daughter while fighting. She was clearly hoping that her actions would mean that things would be different for them in the future.

In the voice over after Ailes was ousted the Megan Kelly character says, “Gretchen Carlson got the Murdochs to put the rights of women above profits, if only temporarily.”
My piece on this.
Defeating Bullies: Lessons From Fighting Weinstein & Ailes | Crooks and Liars

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.