Update on the orgasm-inducing Hawaiian mushroom

I’ve never really understood why that would be a skill that women would use, unless they just wanted to get rid of a guy or end sex without letting him down. There are times when it’s pretty clear that it’s not fake, but as far as knowing the difference at other times, there doesn’t seem to be a great way to be sure:

3 Likes

1 Like

Well you know, if it’s enough all ready and I just wanna get some sleep.

3 Likes

Believe it or not, date rape is a situation where this technique is used…as you say, to just get it over ASAP.

1 Like

http://blog.crazyaboutmushrooms.com/dictyophora-indusiata-mushroom/ Check this blogpost, and specifically the first comment:
"I have never believed this preposterous theory. I recently (July, 2015) obtained a copy of Holliday’s full paper, and I can assure you that the evidence, as presented, was wholly unconvincing. No reputable journal would have published that crap: zero references for statements made, no detailing of study protocol, conclusions made without verification of results. In other words, garbage science, if you can even call it science at all. Another hidden factoid regarding that paper, confessed to me by Holliday (who sent me a copy of his paper), was that the “research” was funded by a local Pharmaceutical company, that hoped to market any discovered “aphrodisiacs.” This fact was also not cited in the publication, a huge breach of science vs business etiquette, altho it was hardly science, so maybe medicinal mushroom people play by different rules?

AS to the “corroborating fact” of male pig pheromones (alpha-androstenol, to be exact), in Perigord truffles attracting “only” female pigs, it turns out that there are over 200 aromatic compounds found in black truffles, and only one is responsible for the attraction of mammalian foragers, specifically tested on pigs and dogs: Dimethyl sulfide. Pure extracts of alpha-androstenol were ignored by both groups of animals. This was shown in real science, and is widely available online, open access. And all sorts of animals of all sexes dig and eat up truffles, from pigs to bears to squirrels to mice to deer. Insects too, of course, but they target different odors in the same fungus; lots and lots to choose from!

Holliday may well believe his own BS, but that doesn’t make it good science or true.

Just like you, I have smelled stinkhorns, and there is absolutely NOTHING sexy about them, unless you are deeply into necrophilia! :wink:

This is a truly vile, and even a bit sexist myth.

BTW, the “good doctor” as you refer to him is not a doctor, and his reputation had nothing to lose. Good PR for a businessman looking to sell his medicinal mushroom wares, though. I agree with the folks in that second batch of conference attendees that you cited above: the perpetuation of this myth and the flimsy basis for its acceptance diminishes all of us.

It does make a great story to tell around a drunken campfire, though. Right up there with the hooked killer that lurks at Lovers Lane, and just about as believable.

Yours in Mycological Truth,

Debbie Viess
Bay Area Mycological Society
http://www.bayareamushrooms.org"

9 Likes

The fact that the originator of the story is Vice-President, Director of Research, etc. for a Nevada-based mushroom-based supplements scam (immune-boosting! Cordyceps sinensis! Now available for pets!) is perhaps relevant to his credibility.

1 Like

Pronounced “dick-euphoria”?

2 Likes

Good thinking, there! And yeah I hope it dissolves well in hexane so there is no need for dichloromethane or anything nasty like that.

My confidence in the magical-mushroom story is further enhanced by the discovery that the author moonlights as an editor for the journal that published it.

2 Likes

Not to cluck at anyone else’s practices, but I like to think that a truly gentlemanly partner would be completely unoffended by a fond “I loves ya, babe, but I’m exhausted and not gonna get to the moon this evening, so how about we save the effort for next time?”

I dunno, maybe it sounds too late-matrimonial, but I’d always rather my partner told me something like that rather than she feel she ought to put on a show to make me feel better. 'Specially if she’s pooped. Plus, I’m always jazzed by the affirmation that there’s gonna be a next time.

4 Likes

I was curious, and apparently it never has happened to me. However, we have a rule that neither of us will take a hint or feel bad about the other person not taking a hint (in anything related to our relationship, not just something like this), so I’ve promised her that if she ever wants to pretend to be enjoying it, I’ll pretend to believe her.

Seriously though, I think part of it is not putting too much pressure on someone and not seeing it as a performance where your manhood rests on the correct response. It reminds me of the rule in economics that as soon as you make one thing the indicator of the healthiness of the system, it stops being a good indicator of the healthiness of the system.

4 Likes

& @Donald_Petersen - yes and no to both of you. I’m not talking about the old fashioned “lie back and think of England” sense of matrimonial duty. I’m just talking about the times where, for whatever myriad of reasons, the big O ain’t gonna happen. Doesn’t mean she/he/we/you don’t want the sexy times, just means there’s no climax. Making sexy times be only about climax is problematic, and lots of people just cannot climax during intercourse, doesn’t mean they don’t want sexy times!

Edit to add: Also, its a Seinfeld quote. :wink:

1 Like

I think we’re basically on the same page. As far as I’m concerned, it’s not always mindblowing on my side either - and that’s OK. Being together is a lot of the appeal, the same as having a meal together is good even if the food isn’t the best I’ve ever tasted - and I’d definitely choose that over eating a great meal alone. That’s one reason why I wouldn’t act any different if I thought my wife was faking it. Either:

• She’s not faking it, and now I have a very confused wife who wonders why I stopped when she was just getting into it. There’s no good way to explain your way out of this.
  • She is ‘faking it’ as she’s tired, so she’s happy that it’s over a bit earlier. However, I’m not really sure whether it’s real of not on other times. I’m probably just overthinking it, and I should just make sure that next time she’s not so tired.
  • She is ‘faking it’, but it’s because she knows that it’s not going to happen for her that time, and that her being into it makes the difference between OK and amazing for me. As you say, the whole experience can be good without a climax and it could just be about making someone you care about happier. Maybe I should just accept that and be happy?

So it wasn’t supposed to be a criticism of you or anyone else, just saying that our own policy is that we don’t assume anything. If she says she’s fine, or acts in a certain way, I’ll take it literally and she doesn’t expect any different reaction (and vice versa). If she were to fake it, it wouldn’t necessarily mean that there’s a problem - if there is a problem, she knows she has to (and can) be up front about it.

I may have inadvertently misrepresented my position. I agree that orgasms, while swell and everything, are far from the be-all and end-all of a mutually satisfying sexual encounter. Sometimes sex is perfectly fun and worthwhile even if an orgasm isn’t in the cards… and not just for women!

And so, if both parties realize that, then there isn’t any real reason to fake an orgasm just to get the experience finished, when we’re talking about a mutual-good-time encounter as opposed to one you really want to get over with.

On the other hand, there’s a certain element of “Fake it 'til you make it” that can occasionally take place, of course, where acting like you’re really more in the mood than you were initially can sometimes lead to actually getting more in the mood.

But it’s also easy to imagine circumstances under which faking an orgasm might lead someone to believe they’re giving you precisely the attentions by which you derive the most enjoyment, when that might not be the case. And that lack of honest communication might get in the way of an improvement in the fine-tuning of the sexual relationship.

3 Likes

I fake it all the time, but that’s because I distract her by yelling lines from Peter O’Toole movies and she gets really confused. Sometimes I mix in a little Omar Sharif just to keep things spicy.

5 Likes

Ah. So you’re a chump like the rest of us.

1 Like

A brother kills a brother who’s killed his father who’s killed his son. Fate. And then someone will kill Caligula!

2 Likes

“The Ruling Class” is good for that.

2 Likes

I’d prefer My Favourite Year. :wink: