Update: Uncle Roger visits BBC's fried rice chef Hersha Patel

Isn’t it pay-ey-ah in Espaniol? Not sure when it went from being ris-o-tto to ris-ooh-tto though.

1 Like

Yeah. In Spanish, and in every English-speaking context I’ve encountered, it’s pie-AYE-ah, not, as pronounced in the video, PIE-ell-ah.

1 Like

Yeah but this video is in England and any attempt to pronounce the words correctly in English English is considered elitist and non English.

I was disappointed she didn’t put garlic in the wok first and that she didn’t temper any of the spices at the end which would make sense for Anglo Indian fusion cuisine.

1 Like

Idk bout y’all! But dang as African Indian…I wanna ship these two couple so bad. Anyone else feels the same way? They have great chemistry and fun working together. Could be a new beginning! :yin_yang:

Ah, I misunderstood. Pie-ell-ah is a common English pronunciation. Similarly, none of us can work out how to pronounce Chorizo correctly. Sorry!

As David Sedaris would say, how do you pronounce Paris? :wink:

Cho reeth tho personally but I’ve heard it said Parissssssss.

1 Like

Kansans also love to pronounce Chipotle (Chip-oat-lay) as chip-ole-tea.

1 Like

To be fair Americans pronounce Spanish words in general so much less horribly than us European English speakers. For some reason whenever a tiny attempt is made to pronounce a non English word appropriately it never gets any better than attempting it on French.

I really enjoyed some of the asides on pronunciation in Diarmuid McCullough’s biography of Thomas Cromwell (crummel as he’d have it) and how older English pronunciation survives in some US place names. And the still undimmed perverse pride in not pronouncing people’s names correctly.

3 Likes

I studied Italian in night classes in Hull, where the accent is odd even by Yorkshire standards. Our teacher, who was a native of Northern Italy, was pretty exasperated by some of the students’ inability (despite a good faith effort) to get some sounds close to right.

3 Likes

I’d love to try this, but I’m out of marmite.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.