US Deputy Director of Drug Policy pretends to be a moron in order to evade questions about pot

I’m not sure there is a problem with people growing their own pot unregulated. It just doesn’t matter. The fact governments or corporations cannot profit from that is a feature, not a bug.

That would be great if it was already legal. The thesis being defended here is that the reason it is not legal is this very “feature” you speak of. That is, I don’t think anyone’s arguing that the “feature” itself is bad, just that it’s not helping the effort to legalize (largely because if there’s no profit then there’s no lobbies to challenge the for-profit prison lobby or the police lobby).

That’s the trick, though. The more complex the answer, the harder it is to cipher. And he wanted to give long-winded answers that back a certain propaganda. That last diatribe he went into contrasted against the basic questions asked stated his department’s politics and intent concisely…

So which do you prefer to get to grandstand, Blum or Bott? Because i guarantee you Bott was winding up to do just that. Or perhaps you didn’t notice the last little tirade he went into when he got the chance…

1 Like

Well, that’s where the Prison Industry Complex comes in. And there’s plenty of money there being made, both by private prisons and companies exploiting prisoners.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’m a home gardner, I know all this. I was pointing to the “can’t be arsed” crowd, not the “ignorant of ease” crowd.

Of course he counts. You don’t like Bill Nye? Anthony said he likes all public figures with bow ties. :slight_smile: So I believe you two are in agreement. While he did use a double negative… so I can understand the confusion.

I’m sure there will be a Monsanto® Round-Up® Ready® variety, if the profit is there.

1 Like

I just told my son to remember our friend who smoked too much and messed up his life

4 Likes

This is not testimony. This is grandstanding. This is a ritual beating. I guess Botticelli had it coming, but it sure isn’t democratic process.

Yes, pandering to idiots has gone swimmingly so far…

2 Likes

There are so many aspects to the criminalization of marijuana. Besides those who make money off of it being illegal (drug dealers, law enforcement, for-profit prisons, secret gov’t agencies funding “programs”, etc) and the alcohol and tobacco industries, there are those who do not want you to use marijuana for reasons of control.

The lies you grew up with and still hear today (gov’t & religious) can all of a sudden become obvious to people who use mj, and those who benefit from those deceptions don’t want you becoming wise to their lies b/c they stand to lose what they have worked so hard to put in place: deceptions from which they derive control, power and money. It is easier and cheaper to control people mentally than physically, and that control is invisible in a “free country”.

2 Likes

This. Also, Mr. Botticelli is conveniently conflating overdosing with overdosing due to MJ (which doesn’t happen).

Well over ten years ago when I tried MJ for the first time, I specifically recall looking at my girlfriend and asking with no small amount of incredulity, “This? This is illegal??”
I agree with you–power, control, and economic benefit.

Oh come. Even ignoring the possible home brewers argument, your statement would make no sense if you replaced “beer” with “tobacco.”

You cannot save a seed from a bag of loose-leaf tobacco. plant it and wait a few months to get more tobacco. How do you regulate ready to consume self-replicating product?

Obviously you can do that with tobacco – but are you suggesting that we have no way to regulate, tax, and make millions off tobacco, just because you can do so? Do you see tobacco plantations sprouting up on every street corner?

While many people have legal license to grow their own pot in California, the vast, vast majority of those people still walk down to the corner dispensary and buy it instead.

3 Likes

http://www.howtogrowtobacco.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24

Every state has its own laws, but generally speaking, there is no prohibition against growing tobacco for personal use. Furthermore, as long as the leaf is “unprocessed”, it may be sold. Thanks for the better analogy.

Dude - are you high? You can make your own beer and booze and grow your own tobacco now.

It’s a huge pain in the ass and it’s expensive. People do it for a hobby, but most private people can not compete with the quality, quantity, and affordability of a large commercial maker or beer and tobacco.

I knew Mike back in his Massachusetts days. He is the loyal Left apparatchik of the bureaucratic machine that signs his check. He done good.

Exactly… yet it is still regulated and taxed and people in the industry make millions from it.

Are you forgetting what your original point was, or am I?

The whole point is that folks can regulate and profit from marijuana, notwithstanding the fact that some people could grow it themselves.

2 Likes

MJ doesn’t actually cause much harm, is the basic fact. So then the only question is how to make it profitable to allow people to grow it - how about: MJ grower’s licenses? You have to pay the state $1000 a year for a license to grow MJ on your property, and they are permitted to make unannounced inspections of your crops, it’s illegal to operate machinery or drive vehicles under the influence, which means that we need high-tech gizmos to measure THC content via a breath test, which the military industrial complex can sell to police forces.

The legacy of Anslinger continues.

2 Likes