US Forest Service posters around Big Bear Lake warning of satanic cult activity

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/23/us-forest-service-posters-arou.html

9 Likes

Let me guess. Some frequent visitor to the area wanted to scare away other campers and their pets. :imp:

21 Likes

Why is the Park Service stompin’ all over my first amendment rights!?!

10 Likes

They say “satanic cult activiity” like it’s a bad thing.… smh.

20 Likes

IKR! Satan is doing good work:

19 Likes

To evangelicals, everything that isn’t evangelical is satanic, so this sign is 100% accurate.

And just because it’s spectacular and somewhat relevant:

11 Likes

Looks like the Forest Service should book one of those “From Zero to Exorcist in a Week” classes that the Vatican runs every so often. The park rangers must be prepared.

3 Likes

My theory was bears or big cats were getting pets, but no one paid attention to those warnings.

3 Likes

I’ll see you and raise you one…

2 Likes

Checks out.

Catinahat

17 Likes

“Meow Satan!”

8 Likes

I have stared into the abyss, and it purred back at me.

17 Likes

I often scour the antique books sections of ebay, looking for interesting material to digitize. Because of this, ebay peppers my feeds with odd suggestions, including this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1747-antique-LATIN-ROMAN-CATHOLIC-CHURCH-RITUALS-exorcism-demons-hymn-shape-note/233656197568

These are usually standard church manuals-- quite boring, really-- with a few pages on how to EXORCISE DEMONS, as if the inclusion of the rite somehow transcends the crushing mundanity.

3 Likes

AFAIK, there are basically three types of Satanists.

First are people who are basically atheists who want to be extra edgy and mess with Religious Right. They’re the guys who set up Baphomet statues next to Ten Commandments monuments, and such, and probably make up 95% or so of “Satanists” you might ever run into.

Second are people who have essentially turned egotism into a religion, with some edgy trappings. They are not nice people, but they aren’t dangerous to you unless you let yourself lured into an abusive relationship (sexual, emotional, business, you name it) with them.

Third, and by far the smallest category is some really nasty psychopathic types who seize on the concept as a reason to be horrible. This is Atomwaffen Division, Order of Nine Angles, and similar horrible nutcases, who really would like to do things like sacrifice kids to Satan etc. Luckily, they’re very, very few in number.

2 Likes

They should put up signs in the picnic areas: “Warning: people have been observed in this area consuming the dead, burned flesh of cows and pigs.”

4 Likes

Or drug growers that are using that chunk of federal land as their grow fields.

4 Likes

My local Satanists don’t do anything nearly as rad as animal sacrifice. At least Catholics consume the blood and body of Christ, even if it’s a symbolic substitute it’s still pretty metal of them.

3 Likes

Sort of symbolic. In theory, it transubstantiates into the actual blood n guts of Christ. Somewhere between the mouth and stomach, I guess? I grew up evangelical and we only got grape juice and sugar-free pie crust, so I’m assuming it wasn’t as magical.

Sure didn’t taste like human flesh.

Not that I’d know…

Just forget I said anything.

6 Likes

I’d like to add a common 4th type that I’ve seen here in So. Cal:

The “I was raised Christian, but have deep seated family issues, and in an act of adolescent rebellion (regardless of current actual age) have decided that I can’t quite abandon the mythos of my Christian upbringing, but I’m going to root for the bad guy because it would piss off my parents” type (i.e. the “damaged goods/arrested development” type).

They’re not well meaning atheists, or actually religious at all, but want to seem badass and scary.

Also, I’d like to add that the posters are in no way referencing my family, who spent a fair portion of last week isolating at a friend’s cabin in Big Bear…

2 Likes

Wait, I thought those were Nazis. Are they Satanists as well?