US Open ejects fan for singing Nazi standard

Originally published at: US Open ejects fan for singing Nazi standard | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Mean Beavis And Butthead GIF by Paramount+

10 Likes

What’s w all the f’ing Nazis these days? They are underfoot like a litter of rabid puppies.
When I was a boy, I suppose there were a few Nazis here n there, skinheads sometimes were Nazis but def not always, like punks. Now it seems like they think their ahole orange messiah has arrived.

Not to encourage violence (exception: Nazis) but did he get punched? Asking for, well, everyone?

8 Likes

Because when the white supremacist movement went underground and started to recruit alienated young skinheads, and eventually leading to the bombing in OKC, law enforcement (state and federal) did not break up the underground movement, but instead treated them like weird one-offs, despite the mountains of evidence that it was already a nation-wide problem.

Every single punk scene of note in the 80s had problems with fascist skinheads. Eventually, a more coherent anti-racist movement in the skinhead culture rose up to meet it, but the recruitment fodder and later leadership of the current wave of white supremacy was already set.

Trump brought them together in a more formal way under the GOP, but they’d been working for years already to infiltrate the GOP. Trump just took advantage of that… And here we are.

TL,DR: they’ve been there all along, but far too many people were not paying attention to it, and the election of Trump emboldened them.

18 Likes

I always sing “O Canada! Our home on native land!” and see who gets riled up from that truth-bomb.

7 Likes

This is exactly right. I’d only add that the internet also enabled them to more easily find each other and find information to support/develop their hate.

In the 80s and even 90s if you had latent fascist feelings, you generally needed an IRL conduit to Nazi music and literature and even rhetoric–there were barriers to entry. Today, any teenager can access an entire universe of hate while sitting in their bedroom.

5 Likes

To be fair, there was a sort of underground network that mirrored the punk underground, based on fascist independent labels and zines. And by the mid-90s, the far right was seeing the possibilities in organizing online… it was not quite as far reaching as it is today, but it was there.

5 Likes

If you recognised the keywords there were ads appearing in various weekly listings magazines like Loot, Exchange and Mart and Time Out. In the UK leafleting outside (and inside) football grounds was another source of info.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.