US Senate passes bill to make Daylight Saving Time permanent

And every one of us who maintains time-sensitive gear groans as we yet again have the options of patching (risking bugs and incompatabilities, assuming the manufacturer even still maintains the code, or even exists), manually changing the time, or just accepting that you’ll never be able to truely know what happened when, even using the best time server you have, because half your gear doesn’t agree on the hour, even when they agree upon the attosecond. Sigh.

14 Likes

Please, just let us use standard time all the time. I have never heard of a justification for DST that can’t be solved by “then don’t do that at that time if you don’t like it bring bright/dark then”.

“Oh, no, the kids will have to go to school/come home from school in the dark!” Well, change the school start time!
“I like having light when I get up/come home.” Pick your hours to do that, then!

If you don’t like when the sun is up vs what the clock says, then adjust what you expect the clock to say. Don’t change the setting on the clock!

30 Likes

The idea that everyone should change their clocks twice a year to adjust for the time that the sun rises and/or sets in northern latitudes always seemed idiotic to me.

The sun does not set at the same time in Key West as it sets in Maine even though they are in the same time zone. If communities in those northern latitudes are concerned about going to school or work when it’s still dark outside then nobody is stopping them from implementing seasonal business hours.

Everyone in the Senate is for it. It’s the rarest of rare legislation: a bill that hasn’t yet become a partisan issue.

George W. Bush liked tacos but that doesn’t mean tacos are a bad idea.

26 Likes

I was going to say the same thing. I was in kindergarten or 1st grade, but I remember walking to school in the dark when it was winter.

7 Likes

california, washington, and oregon all had referendums on keeping daylight savings time… and they all passed. the whole nw is basically just waiting for congressional approval at this point

8 Likes

Yeah, that’s easy.

(I mean, it should be, but evidence indicates that it’s anything but.)

P.S.: Should I assume you advocate for eliminating time zones altogether and keeping local solar time instead?

1 Like

My school district has changed the start times three times so far and my oldes just started HS. It’s not rocket science.

I am for having time zones aligned to solar time as closely as possible, yes. The fact that most of the Pacific TZ isn’t happy with their value tells me we have issues with that not being the case.

4 Likes

Look, I know it sounds silly to say that it’s so hard to get corporate and government bureaucracies to change their office hours to convenience people, it’s simpler to just completely change the way we measure the flow of time itself. But…have you ever worked with any?

12 Likes

Worked with any what?

Why don’t they call it by its true name, the “Robbing Peter to Pay Paul” Act?

4 Likes

So what will happen in those states that don’t observe DST? Will they just be one hour behind?

Also, a refresher on the legislative process:

5 Likes

Time zones are how we keep our clocks synced up, they aren’t there to dictate when everyone starts or ends their workday.

14 Likes

Face Palm No GIF

9 Likes

The amount of daylight stays the same with or without the bill. All this does is get rid of the stupid ritual of changing the clocks (which comes with non-trivial costs, including to public health).

21 Likes

I don’t do anything between 8:00 and 9:30 AM except drink coffee, consume cannabis and nicotine, and read the news. But I do have to drive at 4:00 PM in the winter.

5 Likes

Well, we all found something we can agree on, onto the next crisis.

8 Likes

Yes yes, we all agree that the time change itself is stupid. But if we’re going to pick one of two times to stick with all year, it should be, you know, the one that actually reflects sidereal time???

8 Likes

You mean AZ and HI? HI doesn’t care as it has no neighbors and is close enough to the equator that it makes little difference to them. AZ, well, does AZ really matter? They would effectively move over one time zone and become the same as CA/OR/WA’s PDT.

4 Likes

Calling it the “Sunshine Protection Act” feels aggressively American.

24 Likes

Yes, which is Standard time.

4 Likes