UT Austin has one of the world's largest collections of human brains in jars

Originally published at: UT Austin has one of the world's largest collections of human brains in jars | Boing Boing

2 Likes

d4c034e07a930901bc3653f20da145ed_0c75d1e5a1230f35abda92b54370d18a

19 Likes

Ever since the new security guard started, the collection seems to be shrinking.

3 Likes

…how would it be possible to use these in research? It would seem to be basically impossible to guarantee you have a statistically representative sample.

1 Like

John Oliver Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

2 Likes

Probably by looking at them and comparing them to what we know about the disease already. It’s incredibly difficult to get full brain specimens, even for conditions that are specifically neurological. People tend to like to be buried with their brains, and that’s the default legal condition unless they specifically will it to an institution, such as a research lab for MS.
In an autopsy, they’ll cut into the brain and take histological samples, but then it goes into a bag and right back into the body. It’s not preserved.
There’s a specific job in the MS lab associated with the University of Colorado where you get the “death beeper” that goes off when somebody with MS dies, so that you can follow through on their wishes to have their brain collected for the sake of MS research. It’s quite an undertaking, and means getting in QUICK before the normal system routes the brain and body elsewhere. Some of my friends have had that job. (Also consider the tribulations of willing your brain to a specific institution while also dying)
Thus, I agree with the author that these specimens were acquired illegally and unethically. The top priority should be to look for the families of the deceased and following their wishes. The next priority, indeed, is to record everything we can with current technology in the hope that eventually we’ll have enough data to actually gain information from it.

You are correct that there’s not much to gain from one brain.

If you have a neurological condition, consider working with a research lab and willing your brain to them after your death.

6 Likes

Lord knows you won’t find them anywhere else on campus!

2 Likes

Also obligs:
HeadsOfState

4 Likes

The Mütter Museum at The College of Physicians of Philadelphia is open to public & has some gnarly collections, skulls & Einstein’s brain.

1 Like

yeah … the really creepy thing is that there’s a signup sheet at the exhibit. You can apply to be in a jar later.

Beat me to it.

Read the fine print very carefully.

5 Likes

I guess they’re trying to compete with the Texas State Body Farm

1 Like

They’ll soon have shortages.

2 Likes

They’ll give you a free brainectomy when you apply.

3 Likes

If the Forensic Anthropology Research Facility truly wants to care for its collection, it should consider using formalin, instead of just leaving valuable specimens to rot.

54446e6e740ebbd187fbced1352eb5d12bd4c7d3_hq

CUBn

2 Likes

Most Texans of my acquaintance don’t have 'em, don’t want 'em, think they don’t need 'em.

My brain in a jar? I’d feel claustrophobic. Could they keep it in an aquarium?