Utah's Jason Chaffetz meets the Resistance: protesters chant "DO YOUR JOB" at his town hall

More of this please, fine citizens of this country. My gut tells me most of these people protesting him live in his district, probably not all but the vast majority.

Chaffetz is beatable!

I admit that I don’t know how much the boundaries of the 3rd have changed due to gerrymandering, nor the demographic shifts, but (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah’s_3rd_congressional_district)

1. As recently as 1995 there was a 3-term Democrat (Orton) in that House seat.

2. The turn-out consistently (as would be expected) is lower every 4 years, when there is not a Presidential election.

3. Primary him hard with a viable moderate R. Batter and bruise him and deplete funds.

4. If that doesn’t work, go hard in GOTV with a viable D.

Chaffetz is feeling invulnerable due to that 210,000 vote tally he just pulled off. To me, it looks like somewhere in the 140,000-150,000 votes range would defeat him in the general election in 2018, just eyeballing trends in that district. He might conceivably be primaried out of office by anyone who could pull 50k votes. The vote tally trends speak for themselves.

*The overall population in Utah’s 3rd is about 710,000 (ballotpedia) though unclear how many of those are voting age.

5 Likes

Sorry, should have posted my last as a reply to yours. 50,000 votes would have defeated Chaffetz in the 2016 primary. He can be shown the door in 2018 by his constituency, if they want him gone. He has a very small core.

2 Likes

I wonder if McMullin might consider running.

4 Likes

Whoever can pull that number of votes needs to be recruited now. I can’t tell if Utah’s third includes Park City area or not (not, in the 2nd), but I see it does include Moab. There are pockets of liberalism and large pockets of fierce independents within that district among the Mormons.

Chase his ass out too. Stewart is even more beatable than Chaffetz.

1 Like

… made Trump President.

That’s the spirit! When the natives get restless, just stop talking to them. That’ll learn 'em!

Apparently another one who thinks the proper response to people upset that you aren’t representing their interests is to accuse them of being paid to be there and complain that they weren’t nice enough.

3 Likes

Alternately, he could choose to lie to their faces and then call them children if they don’t swallow it.

3 Likes

Apparently he thinks town halls should be a safe space.

3 Likes

That guy’s a real winner.

2 Likes

Somebody is clearly used to only speaking to Tea Party-packed audiences.

Do what you promised, Chaffetz, but please don’t make him open the bathrobe.

6 Likes

If you could be honest with yourself, Hillary Clinton and the DNC made Trump President more than any other one factor.

First opportunity for the Democratic party to operate under a new game plan will play out in Kansas special election to fill Pompeo’s House seat. Nominating a neophyte, veteran, civil rights lawyer an interesting choice. The election will be a referendum on Trump, despite what anyone might say. It is also winnable by Thompson. He stands a chance if he gets out and shakes hands and kisses babies and has no skeletons.

Pompeo got 61% of the vote in Nov (and Trump got 60%). That’d be a hell of a swing.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.