Uvalde police stop cooperating with investigation after footage proves teacher did not leave door open

Already sworn in

14 Likes

Excuse me while I go smoke myself into a comatose state for the rest of the night.

19 Likes

I’m swearing right now! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: When will folks like this be prevented from failing upwards? :rage:

16 Likes

Uvalde officials acting true to form; nothing if not consistent.

13 Likes

I am well aware of myriad historical examples of the American government behaving periodically with authoritarian tendencies, and I could add to your list, but that wasn’t my point exactly. My point is that we are seeing an even more dangerous, and ultimately irreversible stage, wherein the state’s lies are so poorly crafted and promulgated that most citizens know they are lies, as in what is true one day is false the next, and so on ad infinitum. And the teacher in question is not a ‘whistleblower’ per se, just an average private citizen trying to cope with a terrible tragedy for which there are no words, victimized arbitrarily. Totalitarian systems are ultimately absurd, in that no one, not even those closest to power are safe from unreason and therefore punished. Absurd as described by Solzhenitsyn in Ivan Denisovich, or this scene from Terry Gilliam’s Brazil:

4 Likes

So all the TV shows lied to me?!!

6 Likes

Not all of them.

Although to be fair, that one was a movie.
ACAB.

12 Likes

A “let the police cover shit up law”, FUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCKKKKKKKK!!!

12 Likes

I usually recommend The Shield.

11 Likes
12 Likes

Ok, I’m starting to see why some police departments spend so much money on PR:

They don’t seem to be able to stop themselves from making terrible statements. This had better not be a backhanded way of saying that they’ll never explain.

15 Likes

“Once the families quit grieving.” My mom died 6 years ago, i still grieve. How much worse for a child? And this heartless asshole should spend the rest of his miserable life barefoot on an endless plain of Lego blocks. ACAB.

22 Likes

And they dont even have to show up! The SCOTUS says so:

The police exist, apparently, to serve and protect the police.

6 Likes

It won’t stop the feds

https://thehill.com/news/sunday-talk-shows/3505371-uvalde-county-commissioner-says-he-wants-fbi-investigation-into-texas-school-shooting-response/

13 Likes

I love cop shows, they’re among the finest examples of urban fantasy you can possibly find.

As somewhat-fictionalised representations of real-life policing, not so much.

2 Likes

This is actually untrue. Uvalde police and the district are both subject to the Texas public information act. They do not get to decide what they withhold. A division of the tx attorney general’s office does. Uvalde is going to have to ask for permission.
The city and ISD are also subject to the open meetings act, which makes that secret swearing in of the district police chief even worse.

14 Likes

What the actual fuck.

How can they heal when they have no answers? Those families will never stop grieving. Not how grief works

14 Likes

It’s not the right time to talk about gun control police reform.

10 Likes

Much has been said about why this town has a SWAT team.

Can someone also explain why a town this small (16,000) has a police department at all? In Canada a city needs to be somewhere north of 300,000 to even consider this. Until then, you have an RCMP detachment. The point of this system is that small towns can’t supply resources for well-trained policing that meets national standards, nor can they afford data systems and other infrastructure upon which modern policing depends. Once a city gets large enough, they transition to their own police in a multi-year process. For example, Surrey, BC (pop 518,000) is going through this transition right now.

The US has the county sheriff system and also state troopers for this, right? Why does Uvalde have police at all?

16 Likes

I found the multiple layers of non-integrated police to be baffling when I moved to the states. Each town has its own police force. Then there are county sheriffs, state troopers, even transportation police. And thats just at the state level, never mind all the federal agencies.

17 Likes