VC Fred Wilson's prediction: we will have a different President of the United States by the end of 2019

Oh yeah, the Senate is totally going to go along with Impeachment proceedings…

The Republican party is now the party of Trump. They might as well ask Christians to impeach Jesus.

8 Likes

I kind of agree with the analysis, but Republicans won’t get aboard the anti-Trump train until primary season is about to start, so impeachment won’t happen until late in the year or early 2020, and the Republicans will never get aboard on conviction. They’ll be satisfied when Trump decides to not run again–that will be the deal they make with Trump: we won’t convict, you don’t run. He still might engineer a last-day hand-off to Pence for a full pardon.

3 Likes

We don’t get a vote on that one. However, it’s far from clear that the Constitution permits the President to pardon either himself in his proper persona or (even more so) in the “person” of a corporation he owns.

Yes, he may skate on the election diddling thanks to our “look forward, not back” tradition [1] but as long as The Trump Organization (and Trump himself) are still subject to civil charges he’s not going to have a happy retirement.

[1] Thanks loads, Ford! So much for “nobody is above the law.”

1 Like

I also don’t think Mueller’s report will be ready before the summer, probably late summer. That’s when the shitshow (Mueller report, recession, stock market down) is really going to start for Trump, and sadly for the country too.

4 Likes

I think the key will be if there are any state charges that could result in jail time, since he can’t pardon himself/his family on state charges. I’m sure there will be lots of tantrums, but eventually someone will have to say, “literally, you can’t pardon anyone against state charges. You are screwed.” That might get him to step down, if it could get him out of jail time. Wonder if he’ll still stand up for family members if it becomes him versus them? Would Daddy take jail time to spare Donald Jr.? I doubt it.

8 Likes

I’d have more respect for that prognostication if “VC” had been left off the start of that headline.

4 Likes

assuming Pence is not indicted himself.

4 Likes

negotiate a resignation that will lead to him and those close to him being pardoned for all actions

Is there a reason prosecution would want to negotiate vs not doing so? Legit question.

A more likely scenario: The report comes out. Trump refuses to acknowledge it, and denies everything, saying that it’s “Fake news! A witch hunt!” If any in his family are indicted, he will pardon them. His base eats this up.

If an indictment is issued by the House, McConnell will refuse to schedule a trial in the Senate.

Then the 2020 elections happen. If Trump loses, he will deny the results, claiming election fraud because of illegal aliens, just like he did in 2016. He will refuse to step down.

His base will rally outside the White House in support. They have lots of guns with them. Now we have an armed standoff, with a VERY high probability that someone will start shooting.

10 Likes

all these are exactly like the fantasy that “oh trump could never win the primary. oh trump could never win the election”

why would he resign? why? he could have 100 lawyers telling him they are coming with handcuffs up the stairs, he still won’t resign and someone will certainly be stupid enough to throw themselves on the fire for him like Oliver North

(AND he will STILL win re-election, yes, he will, half the country is that stupid and spiteful)

5 Likes

Bring back the guillotine!

2 Likes

December 18, 2031 … gonna be a long wait.

1 Like

I dont quite see it that way. Trump is as much of a puppet for the GOP as he is for Putin, applying their agenda but taking all the criticism. Puppets become goats when they are no longer useful and become a liability. The GOP will have endless amounts of excuses to explain how Trump lost his way by the constant attacks from the Dems, and is no longer capable to run god’s country, praise baby jesus, etc.

2 Likes

I’m holding out hope that state prosecutors can send him up a creek without a pardon paddle.

Given the likely number of crimes, I have to believe that SOME of them will be state-level. What better outcome than having the Robber Baron of Queens cooling his bone-spurred heels in a New York state prison?

1 Like

As a matter of fact, New York’s incoming AG campaigned on tracking down and prosecuting the Trump Crime Family to the full extent of the law. Right now, it’s up to the Legislature to remove the NY State law that exempts potential Federal defendants from NY prosecution.

6 Likes

On the one hand, I agree with you–in a just world, Trump and his family would spend the rest of their lives in prison for the crimes they’ve committed.

On the other, though, he thinks he’s at the center of the universe and that he deserves to be there—and so I don’t find it very difficult to imagine a cornered Trump who thinks he has no way out for himself and his crooked family engaging in a murder-suicide, but with nuclear weapons. It may be that engineering an undeserved soft landing for him on the federal charges (which, remember, still leaves him and his crime family vulnerable to state charges) could be the one thing standing between us and an ICBM temper tantrum.

3 Likes

I suspect that the GOP will do the same as the Tories here in the UK and hang on to power no matter what. They don’t care about doing the right or honourable thing - its purely about holding power with all the rewards that can be gained from doing so.

6 Likes

d340db8be957631cbb238fb4e4e10155

2 Likes

Sure. Right after slashing military spending and securing the budget for the Moon colony.

6 Likes

Haven’t they already done that?

10 Likes