Verdict reached in Derek Chauvin's trial: 2nd degree murder guilty, 3rd degree murder, manslaughter guilty

Given the number of police testifying against him, the guilty verdict does not surprise me. I am however surprised that the verdict was reached so quickly. In a case like this, there is usually at least one juror that is determined to vote not guilty.

14 Likes

Around the same time, the House had a brief moment of clarity as well:

42 Likes

As I posted in the other thread, I think the next biggest conviction was for Oscar Grant III’s murder in 2009. The cop was found guilty of manslaughter and given a two year sentence. It was a shock that he was found guilty of anything (because shitty racist courts that favor cops) and a disappointment that he clearly got off with a light sentence.

A real murder charge is huge, and feels like a real victory. I really hope this is the beginning of a new era.

24 Likes

FTFY.

16 Likes

Are we counting on duty, or off duty? And what about not-murder?

22 Likes

2-Jerry-Maguire-quotes tenor

28 Likes

While she seems entirely in the right, overall I have to feel that it didn’t help the situation at all.

There was always going to be an appeal, but we really don’t need to potentially fuel any arguments that the defense may have.

Quote: “I’ll give you that Congresswoman Waters may have given you something on appeal that may result in this whole trial being overturned,” Judge Cahill told the court.

That’s worrisome… when a judge mentions during a trial that everything could be overturned on appeal.

18 Likes

Thank god. It’s a start.

12 Likes

The fact that there was even a chance that this guy could maybe have been acquitted is enough to still condemn the failing policing and “justice” system, even though in this particularly egregious case it seems real justice has prevailed.

9 Likes

I saw.

I live in Oakland and I used to go through Fruitvale on my way home from work. My daughter is the same age as his.

I regularly think about Mershele walking around free, and how that so easily could have been me dead instead.

29 Likes

I was generally thinking on-duty, but Botham Jean is another good example. Although, they tried to let Guyger off the hook.

10 Likes

Couldn’t have happened to a nicer person. Hope he enjoys his extended stay in jail

/s

11 Likes

I’m hopeful that that one hypothetical juror has just had enough of this bullshit, and is tired of giving chance after chance for the police to get it right. That this is now an inflection point, and not a blip.

8 Likes

Likewise, I’m down in San Leandro at the moment, but Fruitvale station was my BART station for a while, and Farmer Joe’s in Dimond was my closest grocery store a few years back. I don’t have the same “it could have been me”, but it ain’t right, and the reason it wouldn’t have been me is disgusting.

8 Likes

It’s too bad he’ll be a hero to the aryan brotherhood and will get all the protection he needs inside from straight up nazis.

5 Likes

This was 100% the right wing media machine and useful idiots like CNN manufacturing a bullshit distraction. Even Pelosi was like, “fuck that, she doesn’t owe anybody an apology.”

If it wasn’t Maxine Waters it would have been the next most prominent Black person who dared to open their mouth. As is usually the case, they are desperate to draw attention away from murderous cops, insurrectionists or their own President with spurious fabrications to give their people their Two Minutes of Hate.

35 Likes

Not disagreeing at all with that assessment.

The fact that it was a prominent politician, and recognized, not solely by the press, but by the judge, is what’s going to be a problem.

8 Likes

Yeah, it was astonishingly poor judgement.

5 Likes

President Joe Biden, Vice-President Kamala Harris and Jill Biden, the first lady, called members of the Floyd family moments after the verdict, according to video posted by Crump.

Biden told the family: “Nothing is going to make it all better, but at least now there is some justice.” He added: “We’re all so relieved.

roger that.

oh, you said something about “some justice”, joe?

11 Likes

Surprised Meme GIF

4 Likes