Vermont's GOP governor on Trump: "The president abused his powers...He shouldn't be in office."

see this is part of the problem with the current republican party. trumpism is their base. the people who don’t want trump, by and large, also don’t want what “moderate” republicans are selling. The modern republican platform is built on economic fallacies and social cruelty. The racism and fear keep them in power. take that away and their false ideology is only more evident. So republicans seems to have this stark choice to either support the current fascist leader or lose their supporters entirely. Of course theres also the other possiblity: they could dump the republican party altogether and come to the light, but that takes a level of soul searching I’m not sure many are capable of.

4 Likes

May? May? We are talking about Donald John Trump and his lapdog William Barr here. I’m sure he already has with full approval from the Justice department.

2 Likes

I think Romney may be in trouble. I honestly don’t think anyone that rich hasn’t committed financial crimes.

Vermont’s governor will be a lot harder to go after with anything but words. If the governor simply plays no-cooperation hardball in the same way Trump does I don’t think that they are going to send the FBI in shooting at state police to arrest them.

With Schiff; I think that even those who are behind Trump realize that making any serious move against Schiff would be the end of democracy completely. Either they call off the next election or face a situation where the Democrats have little choice but to retaliate by imprisoning everyone they can find if they ever win again.

1 Like

Calling off the election is the point @anon50609448
My President actually in his heart of hearts believes he is owed three terms because he was impeached in his first. Call off the election, impeach him again and if he’s found not guilty he’s good for 16 years.

I think there’s still individual bad feelings about officially declaring an end to democracy that might prevent even the Senate from going along with it. But I don’t mean it’s 0%. It just think it’s still well under 50%.

Still, there are tons of things that could happen at this point. Calling off an election entirely is pretty crass when you can steal it in ways that have a fig leaf. Things that I’m genuinely worried will happen:

1. Considerable violence at polling places during the election
  2. States with Republican governments (notably Florida) simply reporting untrue election results favouring Trump
  3. True election results come in but electoral college members vote for Trump despite their state vote
  4. Trump using the lame duck period to have the Democratic winner arrested

I’m sure clever people can think of more. I’m not trying to sugar coat anything, I’m not sure how long Canada is going to be able to stay out of the mess if things devolve into explicit totalitarianism.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.