Video: 50 useful facts about Japan

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/24/video-50-useful-facts-about-j.html

6 Likes

6 Likes

#6. Brooks Brothers, the first clothing company to make regimental ties in America, changed the direction of the stripes out of respect to the schools and organizations that each tie represents in the UK.

6 Likes

Hattori Hanzo: What brings you to Okinawa?

The Bride: I’m here to see a man.

Hattori Hanzo: Oh yeah? You have a friend living in Okinawa?

The Bride: Not quite.

Hattori Hanzo: Not a friend?

The Bride: I’ve never met him.

Hattori Hanzo: Never? Who is he, may I ask?

The Bride: Hattori Hanzo.

Hattori Hanzo: [Serious, switches to Japanese] What do you want with Hattori Hanzo?

The Bride: [Japanese] I need Japanese steel.

Hattori Hanzo: [Japanese] Why do you need Japanese steel?

The Bride: [Japanese] I have tomatoes to slice.

Hattori Hanzo: [English] You must have big tomatoes if you need Hattori Hanzo’s steel.

The Bride: [English] … Huge.

5 Likes

Doesn’t sliced bread come in different thicknesses in america?

1 Like

“Kitchen-knife Samurai” needs to be an anime series.

2 Likes

This is very timely since I will be going to Japan with my family in less than three weeks…

1 Like

Samurai Gourmet, perhaps?

1 Like

Not really. The vast majority of pre-packaged bread is typically sliced to the same thickness (I’d guess roughly 3/8"). If you buy a fresh loaf at the store, they can slice it for you, but I’ve never encountered either a grocery store or traditional bakery to have an adjustable slicer; you still get that same 3/8"ish slice. Occasionally, you’ll see a “specialty” loaf – like texas toast or Pepperidge farm thin – that’s pre-sliced differently.

Would you settle for a Baking anime instead? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tyb7ri8EcOo

1 Like

I would if it was available in my area :cry:

See, I knew that it was illegal to carry a sword in Japan (just like it is in most US states), but I didn’t know owning a foreign design of sword was completely out of the question as well. Interesting stuff.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.