Video: Activists project Ukraine flag on Russian embassy in D.C. and Russians attempt to counter with a boring spotlight

Originally published at: Video: Activists project Ukraine flag on Russian embassy in D.C. and Russians attempt to counter with a boring spotlight | Boing Boing

10 Likes

I like to think of the schmoes at the embassy who are stuck dealing with this spotlight. The price they pay for representing a fascist regime.

11 Likes

I’ve always wondered about the legality of this kind of thing. Not that it really matters for purposes of protest; civil disobedience involves disobeying, after all. But I don’t recall hearing about people getting arrested for doing this sort of thing to Trump hotels.

If you’re not shining lights in people’s eyes or doing something else objectively harmful or dangerous, is there some basic “breach of the peace” law this would generally run afoul of in theory?

4 Likes

giphy-downsized-large

4 Likes

They were caught unprepared for the severity of Ukrainian projection. That sad little 100W system is basically just a sidearm, more for individual units than defense at the embassy level.

What you have to remember is that their whole system is rife with corruption. So maybe the MGB ordered three Gala-class spots. And sure enough, that’s what it says right here on the spreadsheet. But one of them is illuminating the topiary garden at someone’s dacha, and another one has been stripped for parts to fix the systems at other embassies, and the third one got delivered as this little flashlight here. It’s a great system until you find yourself in actual lumiwarfare.

They’re scrambling now to reinforce their defenses, but the replacement spot is stuck in a 40-mile-long traffic jam (i.e., normal Beltway traffic). And even then it’ll be manned by conscripted lighting techs who are trained on fresnels and Source Fours.

21 Likes

The russian response was halfassed and ill-prepared.
Kinda like their entire war.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.