Video: In Winnipeg, you apparently don't need water to paddle a boat

Originally published at: Video: In Winnipeg, you apparently don't need water to paddle a boat | Boing Boing

11 Likes

The temptation to skitch a ride Marty McFly-style is presumably tempered by the reach of those oars.

13 Likes
11 Likes

Sweet! The skiff is pretty neat, but I notice that guy with the hockey stick trailing it…River skating is on my bucket list, but I’m not sure I care to push a puck that whole skate. :thinking:

17 Likes

Technically, they still need water. #waterphasepedantry

43 Likes

Probably practicing for the Ottawa Ice Dragon Boat Festival (DRONE FOOTAGE OF NORTH AMERICA'S 1ST ICE DRAGON BOAT FESTIVAL - YouTube) which I hope to participate in someday.

13 Likes

Obligatory
[Kids in the Hall: Trapper - YouTube]

4 Likes

But, Winnipeg…

tumblr_l8jmj8QBGO1qzzxybo1_500

13 Likes
10 Likes

Glad someone got it!

7 Likes

Will Smith Yes GIF by Bad Boys For Life

7 Likes

In Winnipeg, winter paddles you.

12 Likes

Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

12 Likes

I was surprised at how slow it is, then noticed how seemingly short the blades are. I’m guessing that is regulation to keep the resistance similar to being in the water?

1 Like

Technically not, if you don’t mind the smell:

"Included in the rink were salts, copper, aluminum, and hog’s lard, the last of which he insisted would “render [the rink] more slippery.”

The awkward non-paddles must change the dynamics quite a bit. Though I’d think a deliberately slow speed could be a consideration related to having to share the space with pedestrians (something that, during the warm months, isn’t really an issue, I’d imagine…)

3 Likes
2 Likes

Isn’t that simply using a boat as a really big toboggan?

3 Likes

Beautiful path in the winter, otherwise I guess you use a piano?

#LoveWinnipegSomeoneHasTo

3 Likes

Centipede on Ice now on tour.

Hours of family fun.

3 Likes

Human Centipede on ice

1 Like