Video: Man booby-trapped his truck with a flash-bang grenade and... it worked

Well, it was gonna open either way.

3 Likes

Don’t forget using them to ramp up the police brutality on crowds of people peacefully protesting police brutality.

2 Likes

How about glitter traps? (Not that you’d want to glitter your own truck.)

4 Likes

Having had a couple windows shattered on vehicles, the little bits of glass will act like glitter and be around for a good long while, even after multiple vacuumings.

6 Likes

8 Likes

These*, car thieves, car jackers, etc. deserve neither mercy nor compassion & should be immediately hoisted from the nearest overhang when caught.

I don’t think most people in this country have the luxury/privilege of living within walking distance of work, groceries, etc, or have access to decent public tranportation.

Far from being a mere ‘property crime’, losing one’s vehicle to these scum can be life-altering, resulting in job loss & the cascade of consequences that result from that.
BTDT.
So, fuck 'em.

*O.K., burglars needn’t be hoisted, unless injuries are involved. They can donate a thumb, instead.

1 Like

Did anyone notice the sign? Maybe this was the parking ticket guy. /s

2 Likes

"While we understand the frustrations our citizens have with crime, rigging an explosive device to detonate inside a vehicle is illegal and a bad idea.

Having explosive safety devices like airbags installed is OK though.

3 Likes

SoCal denizens may recall this story from long ago. An L.A. small business owner got tired of repeated break-ins, those always being accomplished via entrance through a busted transom above another business’s door located immediately next to the business owner’s door. (I can’t quite visualize that, but stay with me on this.) Frustration drove him to wiring up that way into his business in such a way that any burglar would be electrocuted… which is exactly what happened on the next break-in, and fatally. DA to small business owner: You were a very bad boy. Just don’t do it again. End of story.

3 Likes

Metairie is a fairly well-off and somewhat conservative suburb of New Orleans. I lived there, and getting to the grocery store wasn’t particularly difficult. Hell, to my knowledge it has the only kosher deli in the state, the international market, and most of the big box retailers. Most people have enough community around there that if a vehicle was stolen and it was a serious inconvenience someone would be willing to give you a ride.

There is not much intersection in NOLA between the areas where people drive lifted pickup trucks with $2500 wheels like this one and the food deserts, which tend to be in poor urban neighborhoods where lots of people already don’t have cars and are resigned to long walks to the Save-A-Lot, paying too much for junk food at the drug store or gas station, or going on rides together when possible.

Both the city and suburbs have decent-ish transportation (mostly buses, some people take the streetcar but it’s mostly for tourists).

If you want to call to reinstitute hangings in Louisiana on some “won’t somebody think of the middle class” argument, I’m sure many in the area would join you, but think perhaps you’re all missing some opportunities for reflection and perspective.

6 Likes

Seems like if it was not intended to hurt anyone and was not itself an illegal device, it’s legal.

Speakers placed in such a way that they’re nigh-impossible to reach without tearing out the seats, door panels, or parts of the dashboard. Have them play a medley of “pleasant” songs on repeat. Might I suggest “Let It Go”, “Baby Shark”, the “Kars 4 Kids” jingle, “It’s a Small World”, etc.?

Or I suppose you could include some sound effects. How about a chainsaw starting up played from a speaker in the driver’s side headrest? A blood curdling scream? A villain’s maniacal laughter?

3 Likes

30+ years ago i had an old vw rabbit that wasn’t much to look at and had no radio. i really wanted a tape deck, so i cut out a picture of the deck i way eyeing and pasted it over the radio spot in the dash as a hint to my wife for a christmas present. it was our little joke. one day i came down to my car and the window was broken and someone had stolen the picture of the radio i had pasted there. now that is our little joke.

5 Likes

BIG bada boom!

2 Likes

One lump or two?
Social Media Queen GIF by Giflytics

2 Likes

Yeah but that leaves an unsightly body next to your parking spot. This is a superior solution.

9 Likes

Video was reported and genius inventor was interviewed on FOX local news: VIDEO: Man rigs flashbang in truck after repeated break-ins in New Orleans (three minute video)

Cameras these days aim themselves. This guy also had a strong incentive to park his car in front of his camera, given the number of break-ins he experienced before this night.

2 Likes
1 Like

Really Bad Idea. Smash and grab guy just made “bad life choices” but the grenade guy is obviously a blood mad vigilante valuing property over sacred human life. Or so things will be portrayed in court.

Seriously, he could end up with far more jail time (and a civil suit from the crook’s family whose attorney will make the thief look like Mother Teresa’s tutor) then the actual crook who will get social services, a hug and a cookie.

Law enforcement and courts really hate citizens who handle stuff themselves like this. They will work harder to nail you then the crook you stopped.

1 Like

My comment wasn’t specific to any one location, even though the article was:

Emphasis mine.

Again, no particular location was specified.

Think back to the days before motorized transportation in this country, & people had to use horses for transportation. If you are out in the middle of Nowhere, & someone steals your horse, you are probably gonna die.

For many people, we aren’t that far removed from that type of reality in regards to cars.
Losing a car isn’t a mere inconvenience, & most places don’t have the sort of infrastructure you descibe in Metarie.

Surely you aren’t trying to argue that a car thief caught in the act isn’t guilty?
Or that there are always Extenuating Circumstances? Or that the thief didn’t choose to steal that car?
We aren’t talking about someone stealing a loaf of bread from a store, in order to feed their starving family.