Video of Elon Musk getting booed on stage at Dave Chappelle's show last night was removed from Twitter (here's a copy)

This may or may not have anything to do with his friendship with Elon but a whole lot of people really found it odd that when he had that personal crisis in 2005 he ran off to South Africa, of all places. Not a country that was historically seen as a refuge that black folks would run to, although it’s obviously a lot better now that apartheid is over.

2 Likes

He thinks that the world outside his skin isn’t real? What a surprise.

20 Likes

No, no, they’re chanting Boo-urns, Boo-urns.

For some reason.

13 Likes

If anything TERF is too generous a term here since the “F” in that acronym stands for Feminist.

Unlike (for example) J.K. Rowling, Elon “pony trader” Musk has never been anyone’s idea of a Feminist. He’s just a transphobic misogynist.

27 Likes

He became an older rich guy. Like Musk. He conformed to his new social group.

28 Likes

I am inclined to wonder whether Musk realizes that his core block of sycophants provides adulation that’s of marginal value, and so casts a broader net; or if he doesn’t doubt them but just has an infinite need for praise that leaves him forever looking for more.

Either way it seems like the sort of behavior that might be pitiable if someone better than him were engaged in it.

6 Likes

I wouldn’t say his whole career. But lately he’s become jaded and punching down at some people. A better media critic will have to connect the dots leading up to this, but if I were to try to summarize it:

He got accolades when being edgy and outrageous while punching up, when he threw a bad punch down and got push back for it, his ego didn’t let him reassess it and instead doubled down that he has earned the right as a comedian to throw punches where ever he wanted.

:confused:

15 Likes

That’s clearly the most plausible explanation.

Come On Reaction GIF

32 Likes

There should be a TERM for that. :thinking:

26 Likes

I’m surprised that Dave wants to be the new Bill Cosby.

18 Likes

I like the idea but the acronym doesn’t quite translate because TERF (Trans Exclusionary Radical Feminist) means “a person who nominally supports feminist ideals but doesn’t think they should apply to Trans people.” So following that logic TERM would mean “a person who is a misogynist but doesn’t direct that misogyny towards Trans people.”

10 Likes

I suspect people like him don’t necessarily realise that they are looking for/ need that adulation. It just happens.

Until of course it doesn’t.

And then, it not happening can’t mean that maybe they are not worthy of the praise they’ve always received or did something to lose it, instead it has to be that everyone is suddenly wrong.

7 Likes

But, but - all my employees tell me that I’m a god & they love me.

At least to my face.

19 Likes

But, but … he brought in a new sink!

10 Likes

What about Trans Exclusionary Right-wing Misogynist?

18 Likes

Pictured: the Deus Ex Twitter

12 Likes

Dying here with that comment :joy: Elob Musk.
It’s such a genius characterisation I have half a mind to join twitter and follow this account only.

5 Likes

Hmm… that’s a tricky one because it still kind of sounds like they are excluding Trans people as targets of their right-wing misogyny. Maybe “Transphobic Extremist Right-wing Misogynist”?

13 Likes

Sadly, eventually starting to “punch down” in their jokes seems to be a common pattern that many successful comedians fall into. Fame and extreme wealth really separates them from ordinary people and the folks who started out making relatable jokes and criticisms about the rich and powerful or the challenges that the non-rich folks have to deal with every day end up making jokes (or “jokes”) about the less-than-ideal service that they’re receiving at a fancy restaurant or at their nice hotel or when flying business class. Ricky Gervais, David Sedaris, and Jerry Seinfeld are just a few other examples of comedians who shifted more and more towards punching down later in their careers. And then, of course, specifically punching down against trans folks and other marginalized groups makes it even worse.

19 Likes

There we go!

15 Likes