Video: terrifying head-on jet ski collision that's only OK to watch because somehow nobody was injured

Originally published at: Video: terrifying head-on jet ski collision that's only OK to watch because somehow nobody was injured | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Bro!!! Dude!!!

4 Likes

For a second, I thought it was literally going to be a head on a jet ski.

Sometimes I still feel the cracked rib from my first jet ski attempt.

2 Likes

gawd, I hate jet skiers! douchebro idiots buzzing around like gnats, with zero regard for basic rules and etiquette on the water, not caring about distance from vessels, shallow, protected environmentally delicate areas (flats and seagrass shallows of Florida Bay, e.g.), no wake zones or even channel markers.
IMO, jet skiers are BMW drivers of the water.
/rant with apologies to any “responsible” PWC operators amongst our esteemed BB comrades.

24 Likes

Whoppsie daisey.

3 Likes

Lake-front camp sites in NH/ME suck in the summer because even though these idiots are up getting wasted and making noise until 3am they manage to fire-up the jet skis and wake everyone else up on the lake at 5am.

Then they get pissed when your kids are running around splashing and swimming at lunch (nap?) time.

I imagine these are the same people who will have gas-powered leaf blowers on weekends at 7am all fall and spring, or will at least pay someone to do it.

8 Likes

today’s podcast, produced a few weeks ago just in time: https://play.acast.com/s/akimbo/thepracticalethicsofthejetski

1 Like

It looks to me that the two boats were making a wake for their jetski bro to jump.

2 Likes

Another positive outcome: one or more lake lice destroyed.

5 Likes

Or ruin your morning swim. Back in the day my dad had a camp on a lake up north and I would swim across the lake and back. Until the jet skis arrived. They are so scary, and don’t look out for swimmers. :grimacing:

6 Likes

Oh, the bromanity!

8 Likes

Aren’t those seagrass shallows where the manatees like to hang? I read that manatee deaths have spiked in the last year.

2 Likes

This happens to me with fishing boats. I try to do an early morning swim, wearing a bright orange cap, and invariably some fishing boat come zipping through almost running me over. Basstards.

4 Likes

My Aunt would use hers to get to church on the other side of the lake. She wore her Sunday best.

2 Likes

yes. the loss of seagrass is what is killing the manatee. it is a main source of food. they are literally starving to death.
edit: boat strikes kill manatee more than anything else, but the huge spike in manatee mortality is linked to the loss of their food source.

4 Likes

Not to mention all the drinking.

2 Likes

Jet-ski riders : water :: motorcycle racers : freeways

2 Likes

thanks. that tracks better.

1 Like

I’m in Ottawa and this isn’t any Ottawa I know.

That said, if it was in Ottawa(or anywhere else in Ontario) having open alcohol in a boat is treated the same way by police as open alcohol in a car: it’s a criminal offence. They’re not just looking at their driver’s licenses being revoked, they could face jail time.

5 Likes

FWIW, I’ve always been an asshole well before I ever owned a BMW. But I do use my blinker.
But Prius drivers are clearly the worst. 2nd are old farts in their S Class going 55 in the fast lane.