Video: Young woman screaming that America needs God

When it comes to the topic of white people, white people sure do suddenly have a hard time taking a joke.

4 Likes

Helium-fueled derangement.

1 Like

And the well-timed gestures that probably were scribbled in the margins.

==> Sweep left arm, extend open hand to audience…
==> Turn, hold for effect, stride right…

She brought the presentation up from Middle School right into Community Theater level.

2 Likes

Too true. Black people also.

Which makes sense, while the former doesn’t, given that we live in a white supremacist society.

Who does. Everyone on BB?
It’s a little more international than that.
:smile:

3 Likes

Yes, of course, young lady, if only America would turn back to Dog, we’d reclaim (?) our righteous spot as the empire of exceptionalists. She mostly sounds to me like many other young teens indoctrinated into flavor X of wackadoodle christianity who will spout the talking points and proclaim that America has lost it’s way because environmental disaster Y happened and that clearly shows Dog is angry with us. If some of my family members are an indicator, a few years of living that nonsense and living in the real world ™, she’ll temper that nonsense a good bit. I hope.

1 Like

Turning America to Dog, one village mayor at a time!

6 Likes

No. You lose. We all lose…

1 Like

America needs to slack off and praise Bob!

5 Likes

I only made it through her first sentence.

Augh. A couple of summers ago my mom passed away, in a San Antonio hospice. Our family has never been particularly religious as a whole, and I’m an atheist.

One night when I was staying overnight with her, the night desk/nurse engaged me in conversation, which was fine. Until she asked what religion our family practiced - stunning me a bit, since I consider it a semi-rude personal question to ask a stranger. I told her we weren’t, and she pressed on with a few other questions to confirm that she’d heard me correctly.

I got a bit uncomfortable and tried to back out of the conversation without being too much of a jerk about it. About 10 minutes later when I was sitting up with my mom, the nurse came in to check her vitals/etc. and started asking my mom the same questions she had asked me earlier, giving me side-eye while I stared daggers back at her. She stated that their duties were to give spiritual comfort in addition to physical comfort for those preparing to die.

In any case, mom answered fairly casually (on painkillers), confirming that our family wasn’t really religious, and she wasn’t really thinking about an afterlife at that point, maybe reincarnation would be fun?

I still get angry when I think about that, and every time I talk to my dad, I try to get him to leave Texas. On the other hand, living there has changed him from a lifelong West-coast conservative to a sincere moderate.

Anyhow, I’m rambling. There are some nice/great things about Texas, but the overwhelming religious culture is not one of them. :frowning:

8 Likes

But… why the steampunk background ?

There are no bounds of decency that can’t be overcome by a self-righteous, religious busybody.
I’m truly sorry that happened to you. It perfectly illustrates the casual cruelty religious people embody when they think they have a duty to indoctrinate and judge you.

5 Likes

I was also wondering that. I looked up the “poem” she was reciting. Turns out it’s this enchanting musical screed from Christian pop swoonboat Carman (creator of such hit albums as “Yo! Kidz: Heroes, Stories and Songs from the Bible”):

It seems like the revisions in her version mostly consisted of removing the more overtly homophobic bits.

3 Likes

I believe that threatening someone with torture is against the law, which is what theistic religions do. That’s the tactic that they used to coerce this girl into believing the outlandish concepts that she is preaching. I believe this can (one day—perhaps far in the future) stand up in a court of law, and if I don’t say so now, then who and when? Some people agree with me (for example, Christopher Hitchens did). And if you’re implying that fundamentalists will use my accusations of law-breaking as a diversion (a “straw man”), that would be the least of my worries in battling these self-deluding simpletons. So yes, I believe that comments such as mine, though they may sound unrealistic to some, are vital toward the goal of unmasking the truth of the situation, thus “helping” everyone.

That child is a special kind of crazy. She is thoroughly brainwashed.

Religion is not the opium of the masses. It is the crystal meth of the masses.

9 Likes

Progress?

rolls eyes

2 Likes

It’s an interesting argument, but about as realistic as saying it’s threatening torture to say the Krumpus will come and snatch them, or the Wicked Witch of the West will get them. These zealots are indoctrinated by fostering seeds of hatred towards those who think, act or look different than them. They aren’t coerced into hating against their will, they’re encouraged to give in to their animus and revel in it the ecstatic high the self-righteous bigotry gives them. That Hatred High is all over this young woman’s face as she spews her bile.

Close. I think completely unrealistic calls for prosecuting them for terrorist threats (particularly when terrorist threat has become a catch-all hawkish conservatives like to bandy about to shut people up) feeds their idiotic persecution complex. They’re not persecuted, but they’ll point to comments like yours as evidence that they are, and weak-minded moderates (no, not saying all moderates are weak-minded) will lap it up. I find it extremely problematical to suggest that these people aren’t responsible for their own actions, which is how words like brainwashing come across. Especially when it’s a woman, young though she be, given the ease with which young women are routinely denied their agency. Better, IMHO, to hold each of them accountable for their own words and actions.

That said, you replied with a very calm and rational response and, though I don’t entirely agree with your reasoning, I appreciate the food for thought.

2 Likes