Virtual toilets reveal the souls of video-game companies

The toilets in the Mad Max game are pretty well placed, especially in the cliff-side locations where they make a sky throne. I’m not looking forward to full VR immersion with Smell-o-Vision on some of these games.

4 Likes

Accidentally? I always found it to be a great way to get a quick health boost (at the cost of rads, of course).

2 Likes

I loved that game even though it had some incredibly obtuse puzzles (like the one where you have to close the DS to solve it… ugh, really?).

You’re welcome.

2 Likes

Good news, everyone!

Viscera Cleanup Detail

12 Likes

“Close the DS” turned up in a number of different games in an enticement to “think outside of the box”, but it was actually the sequel to Hotel Dusk that took it to the most bizarre extremes I’ve ever seen – you had to close it with the right timing.

Remarkably, the same fastidious attention to washrooms was retained in said sequel; I’m inclined to believe this obsessiveness might have had something to do with the studio’s subsequent bankruptcy.

2 Likes

I actually have the sequel but I no longer have a DS so I haven’t been able to play it. :frowning:

The whole “close the DS” thing was just bizarre because I believe up until that point that had never been used as an actual gameplay mechanic and there was practically zero context for that being what you were supposed to do. Other 4th wall breaking DS gimmicks like using the microphone and stylus were well worn at that point.

I mean yeah, it was interesting for sure as a game mechanic but it was just so out of left field (but on the other hand it made so much sense once you finally “got it.”)

Brilliant game, still. I also loved Cing’s other point and click adventure Trace Memory.

1 Like

This thread needs a shout out to Conker’s Bad Fur Day.

3 Likes

I really love that toilet in Portal. It’s quiet and hard to hear, but when you flush it, Ellen McLain says, “Your business is appreciated.”

6 Likes

The moment I saw more than one computery toilet this music (and whole level) happened in my brain;

I like how there are armed guards just standing in the cubicles clearly not in there for defectation, they’re just killing time perhaps waiting for the one day that an intruder comes in only to get caught with their trousers up. Maybe that’s where they go for lunch.

3 Likes

I generally play the MMORPG Dungeons and Dragons Online, and my favorite game bathroom is in the Partycrashers quest of the Phiarlan Carnival adventure pack.

You have to bluff or sneak your way past a guard to the private rooms, but the stalls in the bathroom contain toilet paper holders that are actually health and mana shrines.

1 Like

Unlike commander keen

3 Likes

Yeah boss wasn’t happy.

1 Like

you can just draw your own conclusions.

3 Likes

They found a very First World solution for this: The poopstool, accompanied by a hilarious marketing campaign.

3 Likes

Does that count as a unicorn chaser?

5 Likes

Shaddup and eat the f’ing ice cream, kid.

8 Likes

With a useful potion:

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.