Vote for the best Halloween candies, for science

I’ve never seen those before. But I would eat them for sure.

Also, I’m sure this trick (ha!) is well known, but candy corn is really good when mixed with roasted, salted peanuts.

And one more thing. My favorite Halloween theme video -

3 Likes

Mmmm. I’m from a very small town. By the time I was 8 my friends and I could plan out the campaign in advance and hit every single house. We carried extra masks in our pillow cases to hit old Mrs. Bahm’s house twice. She made the best popcorn balls. Going twice meant you’d still have one for yourself after selling one to Dad. Most kids skipped old Mr. Pederson’s house - a tiny house, before tiny houses were cool. He was almost 100 years old, and he always had a little bag of licorice all sorts that he’d reach to to pull out a couple for each. My friends and I went out of courtesy, but made sure the all sorts didn’t end up in the pillow case where they might get stuck to the good stuff. They went in a linty pocket to get forgotten about until Mom put them through the laundry.
Ah good times.

1 Like

Horehound is a bit funky, but it basically tastes like someone added extra licorice to root beer candy. Kinda reminds me of Moxie. Salmiak is to candy as Marmite is to condiments. And the Scott Walker description is amazing.

3 Likes

Sadly, they’re available only in the USA - I have to travel, or get some kind soul to smuggle over my fix :frowning:

1 Like

Long-ago job:

A co-worker from the home office in Eindhoven brought over a package fancy licorice to put on the reception desk. A circular plastic tray with compartments, each with a different-shaped bit of candy.

Picture people picking a piece up, popping it in their mouths, chewing a bit, then looking aghast. “It’s the special double salty kind!” says Peter, proudly.

The office shut down the next year. I stuck around to box up the equipment. I found, under several desks, slightly-chewed, spat-out pieces of licorice. They were probably aiming for their garbage cans, but missed.

7 Likes

You need an office in Melbourne then:
http://www.kookaburralicorice.com/

This is the licorice served in heaven.

Please let me vote no immediately on that devil’s spawn, Bit O’ Honey, rather than having to put it in the comment box.

That’s inspiring.

My grandfather swore by it. (He swore and then he’d buy it.) He used them as cough lozenges. I’ve seen bags of them at Michael’s stores, but IIRC they were either HSFC or artificially flavored, or both.

(My confession)

I wonder if I’m part of the problem (with Halloween in general, not with sullen teenagers going out as sullen teenagers). We have several households with kids on our street. They’ll all come by our house and we’ll dutifully oblige with the goods. Then, when it’s our turn to make the rounds, suddenly Oh! Oh! Hi-ho! Nobody’s Home! So a few years ago we quit answering the door, and have been taking our kids to other neighborhoods where, I should point out, we’ve been invited by someone who lives there – not just randomly showing up (which we also used to get).

When I was about 6, we had an older woman in our neighborhood that everyone called “The Candy Lady.” Year 'round (not just on Halloween), we’d go to her door on the way home from school and she’d answer the door with a platter full of M&Ms. We didn’t say “trick or treat” or “may we have some candy” or anything. She’d just answer the door with her platter, we’d each take a handful, thank her, and leave. This was at the time I was being taught not to take candy from strangers, so I refused to go at first. When the other kids went and got candy with no ill effects, I joined in.

I had a similar task at my old job, but didn’t find half-masticated confections. Instead: There was a co-worker who would complain that I was too loud (e.g. when I’d get frustrated). She was probably right (my current boss has noticed the same thing, but finds it amusing) but she was evidently so sensitive to noise that she started wearing ear protectors to work, the safety-orange-colored ones that the ground crew wear at the airport. Anyway, when I got around to emptying her cubicle, there were a couple dozen half-consumed bottles of water in the cabinet above her desk. It seemed she’d drink half of one and then just leave it up there, reminding me of Howard Hughes but with different fluid.

I’ll take 'em

3 Likes

Obviously not a serious candy poll - Toffifay wasn’t listed.

2 Likes

Mmm… Candy chalk.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.