Vulcan Salute statue to be built in Boston in honor of Leonard Nimoy

Originally published at: Vulcan Salute statue to be built in Boston in honor of Leonard Nimoy | Boing Boing

9 Likes

How apt – Shabbos and Jews all over Boston smile at the in-joke.

9 Likes

tenor-4

18 Likes

s reactions wars GIF

14 Likes

9 Likes

spock_smirk

12 Likes

Yeah — as a Boston-area native, what I love about this specific idea is that the gesture was Nimoy’s innovation (in terms of its use on the show). That’s what makes this a tribute to him rather than to Spock or Star Trek.

7 Likes

The museum’s Omnimax theater (like IMAX, but more immersive) did away with the original New England Time Capsule quite a few years ago, to my chagrin, along with a short introductory demo of the theater’s capabilities, which featured a highly amusing Nimoy line reading to show off the speakers. They replaced both of those with a new, shorter demo, which at least kept the amusing Nimoy clip, but recontextualized it in a thoroughly embarrassing script that includes the female narrator apparently becoming sexually aroused at the thought of 12,000 watts of power. I still hate it.

2 Likes

Hatcha-cha-cha!

12 Likes

Towards the end of Breaking Bad, Walter White asks a waitress where she was from. She replies “Boston”, and Walter says “There’s a great science museum there.”

It’s huge, it’s interactive, and it’s got a planetarium and one of the biggest Van der Graaff generators in the world. A kid can just wander for hours, playing with stuff. I grew up outside Boston and went there often. After moving to the West Coast, I used to dream about the Museum of Science.

11 Likes

:vulcan_salute:

He’s already got a Unicode dedicated to him. What more could he have wanted?

2 Likes

I can’t effin’ believe you just linked (I think) to the Leonard Nimoy-narrated Boston piece, which used to run before the Omnimax movies at the Museum of Science (maybe still do?) Oh my gosh, I think about this movie a lot actually, haha! I can’t wait to watch!!! So many memories.

My brother and I used to visit our Aunt in Boston/Cambridge area when we were growing up. SO much fun. Boston Science Museum and Omnimax were something we would hit every year. :slight_smile:

One year the science museum had an exhibit on science fiction art/sets/props. They had the Tyrell pyramid model from Blade Runner, full-size Alien Queen and Powerloader from Aliens, ALLLLL sorts of seminal stuff on display. Now that was fun times!

6 Likes

Ok Birmingham (AL), your turn.

Hope they use the same artist:
(These are 20’ tall.)

Oh god that sucks. I really enjoyed the original version of the Omnimax intro when I went as a kid. The speaker warm-up was super-cool (and impressive to this day, as is the Omnimax in general), and I just adore this film. I actually just got a bit emotional (positively) watching it – oh my god that brings back memories!

For anyone who hasn’t been to a full-on Omnimax theater, they are extremely impressive. IMAX projected onto a MASSIVE wrap-around screen, basically filling your entire field of view. Wicked (gotta bust that out as a Masshole haha) steep and slightly freaky stadium seating!

Watching the New England Time Capsule really was like a full-on VR experience, at the Omnimax. I had a lot of (often lucid) flying dreams as a kid, and watching the film now (on my big TV), I’m reminded of how much watching this movie at the Omnimax would have mirrored (and amplified?) those experiences in a somewhat profound way. I got an adrenaline rush, watching it now. Glad to know it still wows me! :slight_smile:

1 Like

8 Likes

Oral Roberts University

harrison-ford-who-gives

5 Likes

I know, right? Ozark Bible Institute and College is where it’s at!

1 Like

The Vulcan salute is a Jewish symbol, so…

4 Likes

Everybody knows that.

1 Like