Walgreens allows employees to pick and choose who gets birth control

What if everyone working at a store refuses to sell them, or a manager pressures staff to have ‘objections?’ The absolute stupidity of this policy just astounds me and wonders what the hell Walgreens was thinking. It is effectively a ban in some areas… which… fuck!

11 Likes

If people don’t want to fucking to do their jobs, they can get a different job. This isn’t difficult. If you are serving the public, you shouldn’t’ get to discriminate. Period.

25 Likes

List of Things That Frighten Police

10 Likes

That clerk needs to find a new line of work.

5 Likes

She should sue them.

A boycott wouldn’t hurt either.

16 Likes

I don’t have a problem with the policy per se, but the way this employee handled it should get him fired. If an employee wants to politely say that they need to get someone else to handle the transaction, and then does so quickly, that’s fine. I’m all for respecting a diverse set of beliefs. But making a scene and rubbing it in the customer’s face is uncalled for, unnecessary, and unprofessional.

6 Likes

if someone has a moral objection to part of their job description then they shouldn’t be working at that job. they aren’t a good fit.

8 Likes

Of course not, they didn’t deny YOU anything :thinking:

16 Likes

“Our company policy allows team members to step away from completing a transaction to which they have a moral objection and refer the transaction to a fellow team member or manager who will complete the customer’s request.”

Besides all of the absurdly ethical problems with this policy, it also raises equally absurd logistical questions about staff management. Do they have a scheduling system that takes into account all staff members’ moral objections so that at least one person on shift can sell each of the items in the store?

“I won’t help you, but we’ll have someone clocking in in 2 hours that will sell you that item.”

20 Likes

Why are condoms something you have to get from the pharmacist anyway? Shouldn’t they just be on a shelf? I remember seeing condom vending machines in the past, is that not a thing anymore?

4 Likes

NARRATOR: they do not

11 Likes

They are on a shelf, you bring them to the counter to buy them, dude says “I won’t sell these to you”

… and in case the subtext is not clear to everyone, the implication is because I think you’re a whore

23 Likes

Can an employee claim a moral objection to selling every item the store offers, so their job consists of just standing at the register until it’s time to actually work them tapping in someone else to do the work?

And when said employee gets fired, can they sue the store and/or the corporation for discrimination against their “closely held beliefs”? [Yes, I know they can sue for someone sneezing in their presence. Can they sue and likely win?]

If so, how long before someone in PETA applies for a job at McDonald’s to pull just such a ploy?

10 Likes

Oh, ok. I thought it was like a prescription, that had to be gotten for you.

But, yeah, anyway, fuck that clerk.

7 Likes

The problem is that this policy is a lazy fig leaf for discrimination. There is no process in this policy for ensuring that it is the employee’s protected religious belief that is causing them to deny service vs personal unprotected bigotry that is causing them to deny service.

I suspect that if this policy was tested in court that the court would say as much, or that they would allow discovery to determine if some Walgreens employees applied their “convictions” to some customers and not to others.

17 Likes

Many stores, including Walgreens, have condoms locked up because they are a high shrinkage item, along with deodorant and hair products.

22 Likes

Application Questions:

1. Work History
  2. Are you bonded?
  3. Is there at least one item in the store that you do not have a moral objection to selling to anyone?
8 Likes

of course these days the courts are liable to say … surprising things about what’s now protected faith-based discrimination and what is not

11 Likes

Well, SCOTUS might, but who listens to them anymore?

7 Likes

I Was In The Pool GIFs | Tenor
(Sorry, couldn’t resist.)

35 Likes