Walgreens allows employees to pick and choose who gets birth control

i see what you did there bill hader GIF

ETA: damn, I was double ninja’d. I got to stop working and doing more Boing Boing stuff.

12 Likes

I recently relocated my prescriptions to my local supermarket, because for weeks, it’s been a total crapshoot whether there would actually be any pharmacists available at the Walgreens to physically hand me my drugs. Like, no one showed up. Several days a week, just…oops, can’t find a pharmacist! Yeah, not a great way to retain customers.

6 Likes

I was just thinking the same thing.

3 Likes

Fuck him in particular yes, but also fuck the company that put the hateful policy in place.

2 Likes

Not quite the path. You’d be clarifying that your action depends on their identity, so it becomes a case of discrimination based on identity.

Now, if you were, for instance, to flat out refuse to sell cigarettes & alcohol…

2 Likes

So, then, pick a random bizarre product (Qtips, hairspray, clear bandaids) and claim you won’t sell them because you’re a Christian and Jesus won’t allow it. Make them prove you wrong.

10 Likes

So if the cashier refuses to sell them to you, can you just walk out with the product? You tried to do the legal transaction and the person with the power to force you to pay for the item refused to take your money. Purchasing an item at a store is an agreement between the customer and the store. If the store representative refuses to sell you the item, that agreement is breached. Alternatively, you could throw money at the cashier and walk out, it is the perogative of the cashier to take the money. Just take a video of you leaving the money at the counter for the police.

5 Likes

Wednesday’s actions, like those outlined Monday, do not reflect new policy. They aim to remind care providers of their existing obligations under federal law.

“We are committed to ensuring that everyone can access health care, free of discrimination,” Health and Human Services Secretary Xavier Becerra said in a statement. “This includes access to prescription medications for reproductive health and other types of care.”

The department’s guidance to pharmacies outlined several hypothetical examples of potential discrimination. They include a pharmacy that refuses to fill a prescription of mifepristone followed by misoprostol to help manage complications from a miscarriage after a pregnancy loss.

That combination of drugs also is commonly used in medication abortions.

14 Likes

Freedom of choice allows customers to pick and choose where to do business.

Fuck Walgreens.

Seriously Fuck Walgreens. May they die an wither on the vine.

19 Likes
13 Likes
13 Likes

No razors or shaving cream since Leviticus 19:27 states “Ye shall not round the corners of your heads, neither shalt thou mar the corners of thy beard.”

No cosmetics based on your interpretation of them as a “mark upon you” as used in Leviticus 19:28, “Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.”

No fruit unless you can prove it came from a tree that’s older than 3 years. Leviticus 19:23 “And when ye shall come into the land, and shall have planted all manner of trees for food, then ye shall count the fruit thereof as uncircumcised: three years shall it be as uncircumcised unto you: it shall not be eaten of.”

Any food product that has a weight on it, you need to double-check that measurement with your own scale. Leviticus again, this time 19:35 “Ye shall do no unrighteousness in judgment, in meteyard, in weight, or in measure.” So if that 12 ounce box of Cheerios is not exactly 12 ounces or 340 grams (as printed on the box) you can’t sell it.

9 Likes

4 Likes

They’ve missed a marvellous opportunity for

Come to Jesus

8 Likes

The practicality of this approach might depend on the customer’s pigmentation.

6 Likes

Ooh can they announce it over the PA too?

C’mon. This is bullshit. Unless there’s a legal reason you can’t sell something to someone (like if you’re under 21 and someone wants to buy alcohol) work somewhere else or don’t be a cashier.

14 Likes

Only one for Cage, they could have done a series.

2 Likes

If they act like in your example, they should be fired. It is entirely possible to respect and accommodate sincerely held religious convictions you don’t personally agree with, while still not tolerating them acting like dicks.

Not everyone has the luxury of picking and choosing where they work.

Also, as I’ve said previously, I’m not defending the person in this story. They should be fired.

A nearby cvs (ETA: in Detroit on E Warren, between Brush & John R) is all but completely worthless. Whenever I’ve tried to fill a prescription there, they don’t have it, no matter what it is.
I brought in a prescription which the cashier said was V expensive, and the doc hadn’t indicated that generic was OK. She suggested I leave the 'script w/them after being unable to reach her by phone right away, that they’d call her again, and let me know what was going on.
They never called me, and didn’t know what I was talking about when I demanded my prescription be returned.
Every time my BF would try to pick up so-called automatic refills, for drugs he needs daily, they told him his insurance wasn’t covering it, and/or they didn’t have any/enough stock to completely fill it.
The place was still fucked even after a complete staff change from managers & pharmacists on down.
He finally got so angry he gave up on them & arranged for his 'scripts to be filled at the pharmacy on campus, near his work at Wayne State. They are far better, and have yet to fuck him over. [knock wood]

The walgreenses round these parts are obscenely expensive, even moreso than cvs, which has ridiculous prices. Boycotting them would go unnoticed here at our place, but we’ll tell our friends about this fuckery.

10 Likes

Got a Meijer anywhere near you? I fully switched after CVS price gouged me on a super common script that should’ve been less than the basic $10 copay.

7 Likes