Walmart takes Elon up on his offer and stops advertising on Twitter

Originally published at: Walmart takes Elon up on his offer and stops advertising on Twitter | Boing Boing

14 Likes
11 Likes

Stopped clock.

13 Likes

Basil Fawlty understood customer service better than Elon does.

39 Likes

In other words, “Please don’t make the mistake of assuming we’ve suddenly found our moral compass. We’re still the same Walmart that destroyed your small-town main st and then shut down that store because it didn’t align with performance goals.”

55 Likes

Someone did as Elon told them. I bet he’ts doing his happy dance!

ezgif-1-2aac19edf3

14 Likes

I’m not an MBA; but I think that’s a sick burn.

30 Likes

… what he really can’t stand is that in articulating his 4chan gamer edgelord politics he is not actually speaking to any silent majority that is going to pay his bills and Make Twitter Great Again

26 Likes

Golden Girls Rose GIF by TV Land

10 Likes

Elon’s sycophants on X have been making lists of companies who have ended advertising on the platform so they can boycott those businesses. They’ve been screenshotting their Disney+ cancellations, promising not to buy Apple products or watch movies on Netflix. But Walmart? Et tu Brute? That’s the MAGApocalypse.

18 Likes

Where are the people who financed Musk’s buyout of Twitter? Are they really OK with the whole enterprise going broke? I doubt Musk will take money out of his own pocket to make his investors whole if Twitter goes belly-up.

13 Likes

X’s response has been “Walmart already stopped advertising with us in October!” Which is… not quite the own they think it is

13 Likes

In other words " the market has spoken."

13 Likes

People are missing the point that Mr.Musk bought Twitter for the data. His long game was to develop his own A.I. etc. 17 years of Twitter data and controversies to keep people “talking” feeds the real elephant in the room.

3 Likes

Was the data really worth the price? Besides Twitter had been allowing every entity under the sun to scrape the data for years, so it’s not like Musk was buying an exclusive data set.

Logic doesn’t fit, so yeah maybe he did.

31 Likes

oh, his “long game”, right! how could we all miss that?!? /s

16 Likes

Then why did he try like hell to back out of the deal? Twitter relied on ads to stay afloat, whatever metadata it had wasn’t that valuable. Musk is losing money on it. If there’s some long term AI plan it’s like building a skyscraper out of twigs. Assuming there’s a hidden genius ploy behind all this flies in the face of the evidence, including what recent angry public outbursts tell us; if there’s a plan then him saying “go fuck yourself” is an obvious tell that the plan isnt working.

20 Likes

$44 billion when all he needed was a php data scraping script. Right. What an incredible intellect.

21 Likes

Cillian Murphy No GIF by ARTEfr

Joel Mchale Lol GIF by NETFLIX

21 Likes

Nothing from Musk’s words or actions has suggested he ever had any kind of “long game” in mind, unless you count the ill-defined plans for an “everything app” that was already a non-starter by the time he started suggesting people entrust him with their banking information.

Even if his primary motivation was getting the user data then he still would have nothing to gain by driving away users and advertisers in droves. That’s tens of billions down the drain any way you slice it.

“Pretending to be much stupider than he really is” is simply not the kind of thing someone like Musk is capable of. He’s far too desperate for public approval and validation.

Musk. Is. Not. A. Secret. Genius.

28 Likes