Walmart to remove confederate flag from stores

Here’s one that flew over Tallahassee during the first governor’s inauguration that I like, though it’s a touch simple and seems more related to an Italian loner than anything–it was never officially accepted as the One True Flag of Florida:

Here’s the one adopted shortly after the Civil War, with the red bars being adopted to show a little color on the white background:

It may very well be that Fleming was such a douche that he needed to re-tie the state to the Idiot (non) Empire, but this non-trained, non-historian chooses to go with the Spanish flag mashup thing.

Well now. Following that, I believe I’ll just leave this recently-emptied bottle of whiskey so I can take the tractor out for a spin on the highway to put the gators in this here backpack back in the swamp. Oh, can’t forget to do a few bumps of mescalin and speed, just to get my hand-eye coordination together.

1 Like

My state flag is basically an advertisement for vintage video games.

But I hear Phil Knight from Nike is cooking up a replacement.

2 Likes

Gasp – did you just out yourself as Florida Man?

6 Likes

I “knocked” WV’s flag? Perhaps it was my phrasing: the “symbols of racist hatred” I was speaking of had to do with the confederate battle standard, not WV’s flag, which is why I followed up with, “not sure what you’re getting at here.”

Also, I live in a city that was recently on fire due to the confluence of terribly executed authority, a country awash in guns, and racially-based violence which is not so far from the spot where people were murdered for similar reasons. I’m about as light as I can get right now, thanks.

1 Like

Well who WOULDN’T want an alligator in exchange for a sixpack? :wink:

2 Likes

Oh dear. It looks like fleg craziness has crossed the Atlantic.

2 Likes

I hear you, and I’m sorry. I guess I’m more comfortable discussing state flags than I am firearms, since my own house is “awash” with guns (in a safe, that is). I don’t carry them in the city, don’t feel a need to, and don’t like to be around people with guns except for at the range or in the field hunting. So I’m no fan of the NRA. I am for stricter regulation, licensing, and a rollback on the concealed carry, open carry craziness.

1 Like

No worries! Admittedly, I came from watching the three-part John Oliver series about guns in America as opposed to guns in Australia and it made me sad to hear the American politicians sounding like nothing more than professional politicians rather than people elected to make their community a better place. I think that’s what precipitated my initial response to @lolipop_jones. Sorry if I was short!

Just scrap all of the state flags except Alaska and have a design contest with gradeschool kids.

2 Likes

why gradeschool kids?

Double-quitters. Damn.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m pretty sure he stole that from one of my therapy sessions to use in a web comic. Luckily I’m not a litigious person.

2 Likes

Because the result will be a heckovalot more imaginative than if you let a bunch of adult graphic designers have a go.

3 Likes

Screw all y’all’s flags.

Now if only my home state wasn’t run by a bunch of jackasses.

4 Likes

still relevant?

6 Likes

Many of the displays of the flag started in the 60’s (largely by Democrats) as a reaction to the civil rights movement. It was the symbol of the Dixiecrats in the late 40’s.

3 Likes

Also, that whole pesky free speech thing.

I’m old enough to remember when free speech was a thing…not so much these days. Might let people express Badthink.

Please explain how in the U.S. (which I assume you’re referring to), free speech isn’t much of a thing anymore. I see a lot more people getting their speech answered these days, but I don’t see people having any less actual freedom to say whatever they want to say.

7 Likes

“Free speech” explains why it’s legal to fly the Confederate flag. It doesn’t explain why anyone would want to do so. There are countless offensive things I have a Constitutional right to say but don’t, because I try not to be an asshole.

13 Likes