Watch a Cessna pilot land with no engine

A very nice piece of flying and I have nothing but admiration for the calm execution of the dead stick landing and harrowing circle to lose altitude and bleed off speed.

I was involved in a sailboat grounding once when I was 12 and was freaking out along with my family when the first person on the scene - an 18 year old girl - said, “Panicking isn’t going to help.” Chastened, we screwed our heads back on and together managed to push the boat off the rocks and back into the water.

15 Likes

12 Likes

How to tell when the warranty just ran out, assume about 5 minutes prior to the video.

6 Likes

If a sizable part of the engine block fell away the plane could have become unbalanced and possibly impossible to handle down to a landing. Plus he’s lucky that failure was not accompanied by a fire.

11 Likes

In 2012, I had a view of an engine failure from a front row seat (where the copilot would be sitting) in a singe engine aircraft.

The engine didn’t completely seize up but was fluttering at about 1/4 power.

We were greeted by a bunch of firetrucks at the end of the runway when we landed. I acted as the scribe noting the frequencies and phone numbers to call once “we were safely on deck.”

I remember the last radio transmission:

(ATC) “Call us once you are on deck. Crash 50 will be awaiting your arrival.”

(Pilot) “Thanks for the vote of confidence.”

(ATC) “They are here for your safety and benefit.”

Once on the ground, an aircraft mechanic removed a spark plug and pulled out a bore scope and discovered that the disc from the exhaust valve had separated from the stem and was rattling around the cylinder like a loose dollar coin.

Engine ended up being rebuilt, and later replaced entirely due to some critical wear items.

10 Likes

Okay most of the time when someone says LOL they didn’t really but that had me annoying a few co-workers :grin:

5 Likes
6 Likes

No, my comment about altitude wasn’t the point. I was just curious why the start/end points weren’t on proper runways like I see with commercial jets that I normally track. Did the engine failure have something to do with that? I asked myself? It shouldn’t, right? Electronics seemed to still be working (at least the radio (and camera) were working).

1 Like

Yeah, well, you did see the photos of the engine at the end of the video, right?
There was an issue that the 100 hour maintenance didn’t catch, probably metal fatigue.
That’s why the Air Force does X-ray crack detection etc.
I’ve been to the South Pole on a set of LC-130s, which were at least as old as this Cessna but with the USAF maintenance machine at their disposal. It’s a bit of a stretch to assume that any old Cessna will have that level of inspection.

7 Likes

It turns out the propellor is there to keep the pilot cool. When it stops, most pilots begin to sweat.

That airport is1/4 of a mile away from my house, and this guy’s perfect dead stick landing was the talk among all the pilots for a couple of days.

He was extremely lucky to find that one day we had very clear sunny weather. Most of that time of year the ceilings are at minimums, and I’m sure a pilot as skilled as that guy could probably do it with help from his iPad, but he’d probably lose a lot more weight in sweat in the process.

18 Likes

I don’t understand. This plane has got an engine; right there outside the windscreen. I mean, it is working, but it is there.

2 Likes

Try a dead stick takeoff! Dead Stick Takeoff, flight and landing. - YouTube

3 Likes

The landing was also spot-on, practically on the numbers and you couldn’t even detect a bounce when the tires met the tarmac. I’ve had a lot of standard landings that weren’t that tidy.

9 Likes

“While I’ve got some time here, could you give me the tower frequencies?”

Sorry to be a bother.

10 Likes

[quote=“Otherbrother, post:17, topic:218937”]
allowing all the oil to drain out in midair.

So, a good landing, then. Glad there were no injuries.

A long time ago, a former neighbor took her car to Wally World to get the oil changed & the tires rotated. They neglected to tighten the lug nuts on one of the wheels.
At least she didn’t make it out of the parking lot, before it became obvious something was wrong.
ETA:

Code Brown! Code Brown!

4 Likes

I used to fly Cessnas and Pipers and - damn! - his engine out landing was as good as any of my powered landings!

8 Likes

Falling off a cliff is easy. Sticking the landing is the tricky part. :laughing: That was a really cool video.

3 Likes

That SIGHS caption had me more than a little choked up.

Roughly translated: “Holy S**t, I think I’m gonna live.”

5 Likes

Very, very nice, and he really greased that landing. (I used to fly gliders, every landing a no-engine landing; on the other hand what I was flying was designed with a slightly better glide ratio…)

3 Likes

Sites that present ADS-B data typically get their data from hobbyists that set up ADS-B receivers at their home and send that data to an aggregator like FlightAware. Commercial jets are landing and taking off from airports that have lots of people around and typically have good coverage by these hobbyists. Airports out in Podunk, WA, might not have such good coverage. Where I fly it’s not uncommon to see my track begin in the air some distance from where I departed, and end prior to my arrival at another small airport.

4 Likes